2 replies to this topic

#1 wild

wild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:52 PM

In searching for options or an improved method for lifting the top on my 1974 cab over, I came across this on Grainger's website.  Excellent design for a "level lift" but a little spendy and only 16" lift.  Interesting to look at and I only wish I had a machine shop......enjoy!!!

http://www.grainger....Actuation-6UDX9

wild

#2 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

It is interesting in that each cylinder is separate, positive displacement system.

Not sure that it would 'cure' the cock-eyed closing that I've read complaints about occasionally occurring. I think that the only hydraulic solution for that is double-acting cylinders, so pump up and pump down. Which opens up a new set of design issues.....

Thom

Where does that road go?

#3 wild

wild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for the comments....and I agree that double acting cylinders would be an advantage.  Actually, I'm not sure that the cylinders are not "like" double acting.  The acme threaded shaft pushes the drive cylinders to force the slave cylinders to push up, then reversing the rotation of the acme shaft pulls the slave cylinders back down again.  I guess the double acting feature all depends on the type of piston seals the slave cylinders have. 

Even if it were not double acting, the slave cylinders would not allow any corner to decend faster than the others, and that should eliminate most of cock-eyed lowering problems.

wild

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users