8' Cab over year?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Ripperj

Ripperj

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

I bought this a few weeks back. The previous owner thought it was an '85, but the interior looks like some of the older ones I have seen pictures of. I realize the basic camper is unchanged since the 50s, but thought the interior materials changed at some point?? are there any visual clues in these pics that would narrow down the year? I can not find a serial number anywhere. Thanks Keith

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140201174744.jpg
  • 20140201174825.jpg
  • 20140201174844.jpg

#2 Ripperj

Ripperj

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

Here is the inside, which has had all the appliances removed.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140201174956.jpg
  • 20140201174903.jpg

#3 Ripperj

Ripperj

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

One more

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140201174936.jpg

#4 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

I don't believe that one is an 85.  During those years, typically, the interiors were a laminate on flakeboard...a problem  which developed later.  The interior of yours is a mix of Ash plywood and fir plywood....at least it appears to be from the photos.

Nice clean interior, an 8 footer "with" a stove/oven....or "without" but to be replaced maybe ;)

The registration serial numbers were typically on a plate at the rear drivers side but there were several builders and they may have placed it somewhere else on yours. Builders were usually required to have it in an exposed area for ease of inspection by state officials.  Some states required them to be licensed with separate plates

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#5 Ripperj

Ripperj

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

Rusty, thanks for the input, the interior is all ply, nothing that looks like particle or flakeboard. I could have taken the stove/ oven, but it's a tank and I didn't really want it. I have a wood working shop and intend to make new cabinets. I have a new Arb fridge, SMEV stove and small double sink to install. I also bought an small 6gal water heater and 16k btu Atwood furnace. Should be a fun project. It's all in nice shape with no rot or damage except for around the "arch" on the top, but that's an easy fix, basically going to replace everything below the window and on the front vertical part before the curve to the top.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140202173053.jpg

#6 wild

wild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

IMG_1589.JPG Ripperj,  I agree with Rusty.....it looks more like early 70's.  Mine is a 74 and looks much like yours, same floor plan too.  My serial number plate was unreadable but I found the number had also been stamped into the drivers side rear corner brace.  Difficult to see in my picture, but it is there.  It may have been stamped by a previous owner......so don't be surprised if you don't find it on yours.  If you do find a number, 2nd and 3rd digits are the year built.  As I said, mine is a 74, the seller thought it was a 67.

Nice looking camper!!!!!!!

wild

#7 Ripperj

Ripperj

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

I would be happy if it was early 70s, makes it neater :)

#8 Ripperj

Ripperj

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:16 AM

I looked again and am not able to locate a serial number, but I did find the warrantee card and manuals for the stove/oven and original heater, both had dates from either '83 or '84 , maybe someone upgraded the interior in the past, or maybe it was ordered with different interior build, I guess it doesn't matter, it's a real solid start to a nice camper, and puts me a year or more ahead of scratch building, which was my original thought.

#9 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:05 AM

could be someone had some remaining ash ply and decided to use it...you're lucky...BTW...!6k is a giant furnace for that camper....I don't even have a heater...camping in the rain is no problemo but in the snow it starts getting a bit chilly...

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#10 nixfwc

nixfwc

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:46 AM

Ripperj, nice find. I have a 77 with the flake board interior. Yours looks much nicer. What sort of heater does yours have now. I have also considered  a larger unit but looks like a newer Hydro Flame would not work without some cabinet mods. Also I like the look of the angle braces you have in the corner by the dinette. were those stock or added. I have been trying to find something like that but Lowes/ Homedepot has nothing like it. Good to brace the edges there if you use tie downs in the corners.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users