• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 WyomingBackcountry

WyomingBackcountry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:26 AM

Sorry if this is a common topic. I am new to the forum and it seems that its always hard to search for exactly what you need when you are new.

I am currently in college and fed up with paying rent on an apartment and just tossing money away. I bought an RTT last september and have used it countless nights. I originally purchased it in hopes that I would find it suitable to live out of but it seems like more work than its worth and I would like more space. I was shown a website about a guy that bought a FWC camper along with a tacoma and has been living out of it for several years now. I would absolutely love that lifestyle.

Is there any specific builds or links that have more information on people living out of the campers?

#2 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:10 PM

On the road we once met a couple that were living out of their Alaska until the housing crisis calmed down. They had been going about a year and a half and had many months ahead.  He was happier about it than she was.  We have gone over a month in our FWC Eagle and see no reason why it could not be done for much longer.  For a single person you have too much space and start collecting useless junk.

#3 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

To me the lack of a toilet and shower are the biggest downsides.  Plus, if you need your truck to go to the store, you have to drop the top.  I knew a guy in college who lived out of a small trailer.  It was 16' or 18' and he picked it up cheap.  It worked out well for him.  He always had a gym class and would take a shower afterwards.

#4 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

Camper or trailer, you have to have a place to put it so you are potentially a renter anyway. The trailer idea makes more sense for long periods as you have shower/toilet, larger refrigeration, more room. For extended trips I find the small trailer ideal as you can set it down in one place and roam around in the tow vehicle. The camper works well for me for trips to the boondocks that are not long term.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#5 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,606 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

This is NOT a common topic here -- that's why you won't find much on it no matter how you search.

Living out of a minimalist camper -- FWC or ATC -- seems more-feasible if you're living as a wandering vagabond, not in one spot.

I say "minimalist", primarily, because of lack of built-in toilet facilities.  I say "feasible...as a wandering vagabond" because I don't think it's convenient to live in one spot but need to drive the camper-carrying truck every day.  If you remove the camper from the truck it's recommended to support the floor (rest the camper floor ON SOMETHING), as it's not built/intended to be walked on unsupported.

If I wanted to live in a minimalist (but occasionally mobile) dwelling I'd choose a little camp trailer rather than a pickup camper.

Good luck! :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#6 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,765 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

This is NOT a common topic here -- that's why you won't find much on it no matter how you search.

Living out of a minimalist camper -- FWC or ATC -- seems more-feasible if you're living as a wandering vagabond, not in one spot.

I say "minimalist", primarily, because of lack of built-in toilet facilities.  I say "feasible...as a wandering vagabond" because I don't think it's convenient to live in one spot but need to drive the camper-carrying truck every day.  If you remove the camper from the truck it's recommended to support the floor (rest the camper floor ON SOMETHING), as it's not built/intended to be walked on unsupported.

If I wanted to live in a minimalist (but occasionally mobile) dwelling I'd choose a little camp trailer rather than a pickup camper.

Good luck! :)

2x-While any one could live  in in a FWC/ATC-you would have to do  allot of walking/or have 2ndary transportation! Our beasts are places to come back to or used to go then explore! But good luck, I did the trailer thing  twice in college and it was better than living under a tree-by a long way!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#7 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

I have to agree with everyone else who recommend a trailer, for the reasons they state - except - if you can camp close enough to campus to ride a bike (in the snow and rain - yuck)  so you can leave the camper popped up, it might work out for you. 

A couple of questions:  What truck do you have?

Are there nearby boondocking sites you plan to use? What is the maximum number of days you can legally camp in them?

You can probably get by without a public bathroom, if you set up a solar shower and camping john of some kind, but that might get old really fast.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,030 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

I personally couldn't see doing it, way to cramped for a long period, but a young person who probably isn't going to do much more than just sleep in it, maybe I could see it. Especially if you have access to sanitary facilities.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 DanT

DanT

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

http://www.wanderthe...flat-bed-model/

This guy has been doing it.

#10 garyoNC

garyoNC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

I agree with all the above. Check out this site: http://www.cheaprvli...rums/index.php  Very interesting and unique.

Also don't forget google:

https://www.google.c...ype=&as_rights=

Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users