23 replies to this topic

#11 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:23 PM

Awsome!

How about a square of non slip rubber for the floor side just in case you go wild and kick it?

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#12 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:43 PM

Ok lq, how long before you are in production so the rest of us can have one too? You know, you could make a career out of making custom stuff for this forum.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#13 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:37 PM

pvstoy, after raising and lowering roof a couple of times i found the weight of roof caused slight imprints on floor so i make sure i put a piece of carpet under support!took care of it.every time i think i came up with a bullet proof idea some one shows me a better way thats why this forum is great it stays on topic (fwc & atc campers)drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

#14 Buzz

Buzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:28 PM

You guys are COOKIN'!

-Buzz

#15 Star152

Star152

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:42 AM

not Fair..........lqhikers do you have a welder I want one.....I like the block you made for the roof hand support.........hey you think this system could be built into the camper.....Ben , Stan what do you think.....
05 Ford F250 LB V10 04 FWC Grandby

#16 Buzz

Buzz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:57 PM

Welders..... A little MIG outfit would be nice.

My next job is to design a kayak loading device. I've been having visions of pulleys and cranes mounted to the top of the ATC. Would be nice to get it done before I head for AK in the spring.

I know there are a few yakers out there who are struggling with the same problem. Any ideas?

-Buzz

#17 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:20 PM

Thule makes a device that lowers over the side of the vehicle. You mount the kayak at that level and then move it to the top. http://www.thulerack...t_id=28&sku=897

Not cheap, but maybe it can give someone an idea on how to make a similar set-up for our campers.

Ted

#18 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:33 PM

after posting my design i thought i would ad some more info. after testing lifting with weight on roof rack i noticed that with the added weight the roof was bowing due to all the pressure on just a small spot.if you notice from some of my old posts my roof rack has 3 cross bars that are edge mounted putting weight on edges, so as you can see on attached pictures i have added 2 supports on each bar which turns roof into a truss of sorts.i will also replace inside lift areas with a sold piece of oak approx 3/4"x4" and have it extend from side to side,attached to each end i will add a swing down bracket that will lock to lower part of camper when roof is raised as i always build with worst conditions in mind,i know that with no bracing with my double Hobie mirage kayak, roof basket loaded with gear,etc under some of the high winds that come up in Baja i would not plan on the support panels that the campers are built with to hold up,or would i think that they should as the campers were not designed to be used as i use mine. so i would suggest to anyone who plans to put any extra weight on roof to not over load with out some thought on the results! also some pictures of the rack we use for our kayak one picture shows rear mount with roller that just sets in grove on rack .i stand kayak on end lower onto roller then as it is a double there is two of us so with a line tied to the front of kayak my wife stands in front of truck with pressure on line pulling as i lift and push once up roller is taken off and kayak is strapped down,if i'm loading by myself i lean it on roller the get on roof and pull it up.been doing this for years works for us! drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0773.jpg
  • DSCF0774.jpg
  • DSCF0769.jpg

#19 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:24 PM

lq,

Once again you nailed the fabrication, very nice work. It looks like you could add another pulley in there if you chose to for greater leverage, keep up the good work.
buzz and star, nice work guys, lets keep feeding lg ideas and we'll all benefit.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#20 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:48 PM

we are working on a couple of "lift assist" ideas right now here at the factory

as soon as we find something we like, we will let you know right away !

Over the past couple of years we have just been building and selling a 12v operated version of the "lift assist" -- the cost is $ 250.00 and it plugs into the 12V outlet in the cabinets -- seems to work pretty well.

(see sample pictures attached)

=====================================================

not Fair..........Stan what do you think.....

Attached Thumbnails

• LIFT ASSIST PICTURE 3.jpg
  • LIFT ASSIST PICTURE 16.jpg
  • LIFT ASSIST PICTURE 12.JPG
  • LIFT ASSIST PICTURE 18.JPG
  • LIFT ASSIST PICTURE 11.jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic