• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WanderingBadger

WanderingBadger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:00 AM

Hey everyone! :D First time poster, I've wanted to get a camper or van of some sort for a long time, but I'm curious if I should eventually consider selling my Tacoma or just work on converting it? It's a 2001 Tacoma Crew Cab with a short bed (I'm thinking it might be possible to just remove it and just use an aluminum flat bed, similar to this recent post by A Restless Transplant?). Rear wheel drive, but my friend has been telling me to invest in converting it to 4-wheel drive which I would definitely do if I held on to this truck. I really love the camper options that Four Wheel gives, but I don't know if it would work with my set-up. This is something I would be "saving my pennies" for and I'm not super knowledgeable in this area yet, so any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance! :D

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:02 AM

Converting to 4wd is a lot of work and almost always more expensive and trouble prone than just buying a 4wd truck. Need to know more about what kind of overlanding you intend to do, but many people with campers get by with 2wd just fine.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 WanderingBadger

WanderingBadger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:15 AM

Converting to 4wd is a lot of work and almost always more expensive and trouble prone than just buying a 4wd truck. Need to know more about what kind of overlanding you intend to do, but many people with campers get by with 2wd just fine.

Alright thanks, had a couple people start telling me that, so perhaps 2wd will be fine. Any camper recommendations?

#4 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

Hi Wandering,

We had a 1999 Tacoma X-cab 4 cyl 5-speed stick 4WD with a 2012 FWC Eagle shell permanently mounted. Dry weight of camper is 1000 pounds. adding truck =  4500 pounds. Although under Gross Vehicle weight 5000 pounds we were at the end of 4 cylinders capabilities and averaging 12.5 - 16 mpg because the engine was working so hard.

The rear springs were upgraded to 5 leafs to carry 1500 pounds and the tires were All terrain LT 31x10.50x 15. Performance above 60 mph was marginal and large hills had us in the slow lane in 3rd gear - 50 mph with our Hazard lights blinking.

We upgraded to a new 2013 Tacoma with a V6 and 5-speed automatic. What a difference in performance, gas milege and safety.

Your post doesn't say what engine you have. If it is NOT a V6 buy a different truck 

You don't say what camper manufacturer your interested in. FWC or ATC are both light and built well for off-road applications. For everything else you should consider a full size 3/4 ton pick up.

Jim

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#5 wetcoast

wetcoast

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:45 AM

Adding a limited slip or locker in the rear will make it almost as good as 4x4. If its a crew cab you'll want an eagle shell, a finch or falcon, anything else will be way too heavy for a 5' box and mess up the steering without a spring or airbag upgrade. My 2cents

#6 whizbang

whizbang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:00 AM

+1 what Wetcoast and RC Pilot said.

Good advice.  A locker or limited slip is a better idea.

And, you are going to want a darn light camper. A Four Wheel Camper is about all you can carry without crushing your truck.
1994 Jayco Sportster on a 2010 F-150 Supercab

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users