#1 Ambling1

Ambling1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSonoran desert

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:06 AM

I am picking up my new ATC Ocelot shell build next week and am wondering if it is recommended to install a rubber mat between camper and truck bed?

#2 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:30 AM

FWC recommends either a bed mat or spray in liner. I chose a spray in liner.

#3 N'kwala

N'kwala

Geezelle

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationwest coast

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:35 AM

The ATC crew suggested I remove my rubber truck bed mat when they installed my Ranger II.  As  I understood, it delayed drainage.  

#4 Ambling1

Ambling1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSonoran desert

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for the replies! Seems like I can go either way with the bed mat. I was "thinking" that a mat would help the camper from not shifting on those washboards or rough roads. I am not too worried about moisture under the camper since it doesn't seem to rain in the southwest anymore. Any other opinions?

#5 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

We started out with no mat and after our first trip I put one in. The camper did shift around a lot on washboard roads. If it has moved since the mat it was a subtle change.

A factor that may or may not mean anything is that our camper is not bolted down thru the floor or from the 'wings'. It is secured via the jack brackets using long and/or flexible means.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#6 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:24 PM

From FWC:

"Although spray-in bed liners (such as Line-X, Rhino Liner, etc.) and/or rubber bed mats are not necessary, they do help protect the truck bed long term.”Spray-On” bed liners or a simple rubber bed mat will prevent damage to the truck bed and prevent the camper from shifting in the truck bed while in motion. The “Spray-On” bed liner is the preferred choice for most all customers."

I used a DeeZee brand rubber bed mat full time for twenty years on my previous FWC and truck. Upon the sale and removal of the camper I noticed the base of the camper was fine, the bed mat looked like new as did the bed of the truck. My new truck was treated to LineX with another DeeZee mat on top. I have never had any problems with loose tie downs or camper movement.

Yet.

Edited by rotti, 08 March 2014 - 09:25 PM.

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#7 Oryguntroutbum

Oryguntroutbum

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:02 PM

The Line-X in my truck seems like it would be way to slick on it's own and would probably allow a camper to slide noticeably.  I used a 1/2 inch rubber mat with my Alaskan and plan on doing the same with my Hawk.

2014 Dodge 2500 4x4, Cummins TD2021 FWC Hawk<p>

#8 whizbang

whizbang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:35 AM

I agree with rayct on this.  I have a spray in liner but I use a rubber mat too.  It helps keep the camper from sliding.

1994 Jayco Sportster on a 2010 F-150 Supercab

#9 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:54 AM

I agree with rayct on this.  I have a spray in liner but I use a rubber mat too.  It helps keep the camper from sliding.

I have a Line-X spray in liner and my Grandby doesn't budge even when on some pretty rough dirt trails.

#10 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:21 AM

I have a rubber mat that has been through three trucks and is now under the Ocelot. Does seem to keep the camper from moving very much.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users