Photo

Alaskan with Hydroflame- where is the vent?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ripperj

Ripperj

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

I bought a 16k BTU Hydroflame based on reviews, but also the fact that Alaskan uses them in their campers. I have gutted my interior and was all proud of my new layout, when it dawned on me that all the insulation that I am installing is a waste if I can't run the furnace when traveling. So I either need to redo my layout and put the furnace where I can make a removable plug in the upper half that alignes with the furnace vent when the top is down( not my preferred method, if not carefully sealed exhaust could get in the camper) or put it low rear in the lower section. This would be best as the vent would go straight out the rear, but puts the furnace sideways in the camper, and makes access complicated. The heat ducts in this configuration would actually be pretty slick, as I could have one heat discharge at the rear of the camper, and one nearer the front. The downside (besides access , is having a 4" heat duct in my limited cabinet space)
So , what does Alaskan do?
Thanks

#2 Henricksen

Henricksen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Mexico

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:03 AM

I bought a 16k BTU Hydroflame based on reviews, but also the fact that Alaskan uses them in their campers. I have gutted my interior and was all proud of my new layout, when it dawned on me that all the insulation that I am installing is a waste if I can't run the furnace when traveling. So I either need to redo my layout and put the furnace where I can make a removable plug in the upper half that alignes with the furnace vent when the top is down( not my preferred method, if not carefully sealed exhaust could get in the camper) or put it low rear in the lower section. This would be best as the vent would go straight out the rear, but puts the furnace sideways in the camper, and makes access complicated. The heat ducts in this configuration would actually be pretty slick, as I could have one heat discharge at the rear of the camper, and one nearer the front. The downside (besides access , is having a 4" heat duct in my limited cabinet space)
So , what does Alaskan do?
Thanks

I only know what Bryan told me back in 2006 when I bought our camper and asked him about heat in camper when travelling so as to protect the water from freezing.  He suggested a "Little Buddy" I believe he called it to run in the camper for a little heat.  You could give him a call to double check my memory or maybe he has an updated suggestion. We never have pursued his suggestion  and we have travelled in some pretty cold weather but not for extended periods and so we would be inside to camp and warm up the interior.  But I think if we were travelling in minus degrees F. or even in the single digits or a touch higher I would probably drain my tank and lines for sure. We also have a Hydro Flame model 8516 and it has done well for us. I've had to replace the thermostat once and just recently had to replace the electronic ignition board. Otherwise, it has done ok.

#3 Ripperj

Ripperj

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:38 AM

Thx, I take it your furnace vents normally, and can only be used when the top is up?

#4 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:08 AM

If your charging circuit charges the camper batteries when your truck is running....you could use a small 12v heater when traveling.....they would drain a stand alone battery but with either solar or a charging circuit like blueside has...it'll be plenty to keep it above freezing when you're moving from spot to spot.

I'd be hesitant to run any propane when traveling....but I wear suspenders and a belt ;)

Edited by Rusty, 10 March 2014 - 12:08 AM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#5 Henricksen

Henricksen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Mexico

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:07 PM

Thx, I take it your furnace vents normally, and can only be used when the top is up?

Yes.  That is correct.

#6 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

I've left the gas refer going when the top was down...and the vehicle was stopped....(going out fishing for the day in the boat)

the location of the refer vent aligns with the window...so I left it open......all worked out well

BUT....when I'm traveling...the small flame of the refer would blow out.....

not sure what would happen if you were moving down the road and the thermostat turned on a heater...with propane being heavier than air....and the doors closed......anything goes wrong it with the thermo-couple it could make a large statement.....

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users