• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WanderingBadger

WanderingBadger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:43 AM

Hey everyone! :) I've been looking into either getting a camper for my truck or selling it and getting a camper van of some sort for quite awhile, but lately I've been trying to get more serious. One of my friends who lives some distance away said she found a camper van that I might like, and I wanted to get some opinions on whether or not I should try to look into it more. It's a 1983 VW Campervan going for $3750, has 178k miles (which makes me think it might be on it's way out) but the owners of course say it runs great, and everything inside of the van functions perfectly fine. Admittedly I'm a newbie at all of this, so what do you think? Should I look into this a bit deeper, or be on my way and look elsewhere?

Here are some photos that my friend took: http://imgur.com/a/AwVoT

Thanks for any help in advance :)

Edited by WanderingBadger, 11 March 2014 - 04:49 AM.

#2 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:46 AM

A few random thoughts:

• Worst car I ever owned was a 1980 VW Rabbit.  Piece of junk from bumper to bumper.  
  • The 80's were generally a low point in automotive history.  
  • 180K miles isn't that much on a modern vehicle, but it is a fair amount on a 30 year old car.  
  • I've heard the VW's built in Germany were better than those built in the US.  
  • The VW vans weren't the safest rigs on the road.  No air bags and nothing but sheet metal between your knees and whatever you run into.
  • Much of the value of a VW camper van is the body, pop-top if it has one, appliances, etc.
  • I like the idea of being able to get out of bed, have breakfast, and drive away, all without leaving the vehicle.  

#3 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:22 AM

I owned an 83 Westfalia!  Note: past tense!  

After having a dedicated camper, I decided it was much better for me to have a modular unit, hence the FWC Hawk and Tundra combo.

Otherwise registration and insurance are pretty expensive for an investment that sits there 90% of the time.

VW Westfalia Positives:

• Cab in camper design.  Spin the passenger seat around and enjoy the roomy camper space.
  • Excellent storage and appliances
  • Quick set up and break down from inside the rig
  • Storage loft above with bed below
  • Stealth camper with top down, or take a nap up top with fair amount of privacy.
  • Make a sandwich for the driver while on long road trips.

Negatives:

• Not likely to be your daily driver, so true cost must include a second set of wheels.
  • Only 8" clearance and non-4wd unless $yncro.  
  • Overall light duty construction, so mostly for paved roads.  We did do Mexico and most of the West including some mild dirt roads on a six month sabbatical.  The rear wheel drive did well in sand if you knew how to drive.
  • As mentioned, very unsafe in a crash.  I often thought of the thin sheet metal between my knees and everything else!
  • Mechanically a nightmare with engine beneath your bed.  I blew 3rd cylinder head going over Continental Divide in CO.  Not fun.   Ours was a manual, and I couldn't even let some friends drive it.  I would never have an automatic in this underpowered rig.
  • No heater and lots of glass windows.  Even with curtains, it's only a three season camper at best.  We realized this in Canada in July.
  • Speaking of heat or lack thereof.  The air cooled engine does not provide much heat and no air.  If your's is water cooled it may be somewhat better.

If this doesn't discourage you, check all the rubber seals at windows / doors and the condition of the fiberglass gel coat up top.  Many of those items will be at the end of their life.  

I loved my Westy, but my mid-2000 Toyota truck is much more reliable, capable and safer.  I have taken our Tundra/Hawk numerous places I would never consider taking my old VW.  Regarding resale, our Hawk could sell quickly at same price or better than purchase, so I feel flexible.  Meanwhile, there's little carrying cost to own the Hawk, except storage.  

This is all meant to be helpful.  Hope you figure out what will work best for you.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#4 imix

imix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:15 PM

Please note everything above posters have said. I've never owned a VW so they are much better versed, but good friends of mine have and I've spent a significant amount of time in them. Some thoughts:

If a vanagon is going for that cheap, there are problems. Rust or a crapped out engine. Tricked out Westy's with an engine swap are going for 50-60K. Not kidding.

Engine swaps are common in the VW vanagons. Bostig makes a kit, you can put in a new/newer subaru or ford if you are mechanically inclined you can even do it yourself. This will give you plenty of power.

Cold: Reflextix on your windows, heavy curtain to wall off the cab section. Buddy or Olympian Wave heater. Problem solved.

Heat: Avoid severe heat, consider a Swampy brand 12v evaporative cooler if you are in southwest.

Bathroom: Folding PETT or Reliance toilet. 

Shower: Bug sprayer shower, or sponge baths.

Two people who live in their vanagons fulltime:

Glen Morrisette:

http://www.tosimplify.net/

#5 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

Did a surf trip from Texas to Cal. in 78 in a VW camp van, we only had 2 major break downs. First time was a burned valve, installed new (rebuilt head). Second time we dropped a valve(other head this time) and had to drop the motor to replaced the head, piston,rod, cyl., . Traveled to the east coast in a beetle, only had 1 major break down. No more distant travels in V.W.s for me, I think for running around town they are not a problem, but not long distances, especially in an air cooled 4 banger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users