Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Anyone using an inReach 2-way Satellite Communicator?

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#31 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:29 PM

We have used both the Explorer and SE models. Although the Explorer does not replace a handheld GPS receiver by a long stretch, I find that its added functions are worth the price especially the ability to set and load waypoints and tracks, and to see them on the device relative to current position. It can be used for simple navigation and trip planning. The phone app provides excellent topo maps with current location and a much nicer screen, but there's the inconvenience of pairing and having two devices running down their batteries. 

Actual use in the field is a mixed bag. A computer is needed for setup, updating and loading data which can be a problem if away from good Wi-Fi or cellular coverage. The subscription model is convoluted and can add up quickly if the confusing settings are wrong. The screen, buttons and audio alerts suck. Communications can be slow or nonexistent (it uses a different and weaker satellite system than GPS). The receiver, phone app and computer website are inconsistent and do not always work in harmony. But, hey, it's technology so we don't expect it to be perfect. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#32 nobueno

nobueno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:27 PM

if you use active junky they have 10% cash back now so almost $40 off the explorer. with the $75 rebate on top of that, no tax free shipping at backcountry you could get the explorer for $266 to your door. here's my invite link if you don't use active junky yet, full disclosure i'll get $5 if you sign up and make a purchase. - http://activejunky.com/invite/61541

#33 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,060 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:31 PM

Just a note for you folks considering an Inreach because of the rebate....  You may want to take a minute to read through the conditions.  The Inreach must not only be purchased by 12/31 but must also be activated by that date to qualify for the rebate.  Also, it's only available in US, PR, and EU (I assume that means to account holders with home addresses there).  And note if you don't check the box at the bottom, the rebate will be issued as a credit to your account. 

http://www.inreachde...iday-rebate.pdf

Also-  a $20 activation fee will be added to your first month's bill (that's not a rebate thing, that's how it always works)

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#34 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 02:02 AM

Also they are a stickler for whatever information is ON THE BOX it came in. I threw it away and saved the directions, but later when I activated it I didn't have whatever they needed so NO REBATE.
My fault, but, learn from my bad.

Reason for tossing box was it arrived right before we were we leaving on a trip south for the winter, and I was getting rid of anything excess, planning on activating at my destination, since no time to mess with it during pack out.

Edited by Freebird, 28 November 2015 - 02:05 AM.

#35 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:27 PM

This just in:

Dear inReach Subscriber,

We are writing to inform you that DeLorme Publishing Company, Inc. and DeLorme inReach, LLC have been acquired by Garmin, a global leader in navigation and communication. We are excited to help leverage our expertise into enhancing our combined product line.  

As a current subscriber to DeLorme's inReach service, you will keep your current subscription under the same terms and for the same duration, and there will be no change in the services that inReach provides. 

Going forward, your billing invoices will originate from InReach, Inc. instead of DeLorme inReach. 

Thank you for your business. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Care

InReach, Inc.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#36 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:33 PM

This just in:

Dear inReach Subscriber,

We are writing to inform you that DeLorme Publishing Company, Inc. and DeLorme inReach, LLC have been acquired by Garmin, a global leader in navigation and communication. We are excited to help leverage our expertise into enhancing our combined product line.  

As a current subscriber to DeLorme's inReach service, you will keep your current subscription under the same terms and for the same duration, and there will be no change in the services that inReach provides. 

Going forward, your billing invoices will originate from InReach, Inc. instead of DeLorme inReach. 

Thank you for your business. If you have any questions, please contact Customer Care

InReach, Inc.

Bill,

It was on their web site also.  I'm going to buy one before our June trip so we can get use to it before we head to Wyoming and Montana in late September.  Also will be getting a table so we have a bigger screen to view.  jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#37 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:01 PM

I hope Garmin can smooth out the wrinkles in the system, PLUS make it more intuitive (user friendly) for us techno-retards.... For we are legion. :-)

#38 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:11 AM

I guessed a year ago that Garmin would buy this out and they did. I am going to wait to see what they make. I am like you I think it will be more user friendly. 

#39 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:50 AM

For those Wanderers considering making a purchase, the following link is from a Trade E-Paper doing a comparison of sorts between the Spot and In Reach including a cost to own comparison:

http://wildfiretoday...g-firefighters/

Look to the bottom of the article. I hope this helps.

Edited by LuckyDan, 07 March 2016 - 02:51 AM.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#40 BILL98388

BILL98388

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:33 AM

We're getting older and the long stretches of no cell coverage is a worry.  We bought the Explorer December 31 for the rebate and peace of mind.

Now that we have used it we like it.  The two-way communication with family at home while we travel in remote (read no cell coverage) areas is the main benefit.  It adds a level of security that we want.

Looking forward to the summer camping/exploring season.

Bill and Linda

Bill

2014 Grandby on 2015 4x4 Tundra (8-ft bed)

Steilacoom, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users