• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nixfwc

nixfwc

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:19 AM

I am working on getting my 75 ready for a trip to Alaska this summer. Just installed an Atwood 8500 heater where the old non forced air heater was located., As I was making this modification I realized there is no insulation in the bottom half of the Alaskan. Does any one know if there was insulation installed in the ceiling or top half of Alaskans in this time period? I can cut foam board to insulate the bottom half but am not ready to start pulling paneling off the top half. If there is no insulation in the ceiling or top half, do you think I cut spray foam insulation in between the roof supports? Seems like it would take allot of holes.

Thanks.

#2 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:40 AM

the top half has...or should have...foam insulation...check out the manufaturing links on the alaskan site..they have photos of the upper half being insulated...and scrapped off

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#3 caseboy

caseboy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Locationkey center,wa.

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:07 AM

my '75  10'co has soft insulation pads about 1" thick. along with a thin styro-type linner against the outer skin

corner3.JPG not sure if i added this pic right.if not , can e-mail pics or post in new message.

wes

#4 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:04 PM

Wes,

is that hdpe packing material?.....heavy, closed cell poly foam?...I've never seen that combination before

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#5 caseboy

caseboy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Locationkey center,wa.

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:29 AM

rusty,

it's only about 1/8 inch thick. almost see through/white. kind of like packing wrap i guess.it's throughout the top as a vapor barrier.  sorry ,i didn't get a close up of it while it was apart. i will search all my pics to see if it shows up better.

wes

#6 caseboy

caseboy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Locationkey center,wa.

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:57 AM

rusty,

here is a better pic

wes

corner2.JPG

#7 Ripperj

Ripperj

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:41 PM

My 8CO has thin (1/2 uncompressed) fiberglass. It gets crushed pretty thin by the aluminum skin as its on top of the 2x2s. Here is what I am doing with the whole lower half. Slow going.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140329133915.jpg

#8 nixfwc

nixfwc

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 31 March 2014 - 04:17 AM

Thanks for the photo Ripperj. That is what I am doing also but am using 1/2 "white foam board with foil inside to the inside. Slow going is right.

#9 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:15 AM

when you guys are sealing up that insulation...make sure the seams are as close to air tight as you can get them.....

condensation is the enemy and the water generated in the process rots the frame....sealing the seams in the insulation prevents moisture laden air from getting to the metal skin where it will condense and DRIP down to the wood. and as we all know...there is alot of moisture laden air in alaskans when in use ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users