4 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

Anybody else having issues doing things (that is, something more than just viewing) on this site with Internet Explorer version 11?

Significant issues, such as:

• Can't "quote" a post
    • When I click on Quote on a post it starts a reply without quoting anything
  • Can't insert a link (via the Link tool on the toolbar)
    • When I use the Link tool on the toolbar and type/paste in the URL in the dialog both the "OK and "Cancel" buttons don't work -- I get stuck in/on that dialog window and can't get back to my post.
  • Can't insert a an image (via the Image tool on the toolbar)
    • Same behavior as the Link tool

There may be other issues, but this week is the first time I've tried to make IE 11 (the default version in Windows 8) my default browser.

Chrome has been my default browser for years, but I like some stuff about IE 11...  I don't know if these issues are specific to version 11.

Anybody else have these or other issues (using IE 11 or previous versions of IE)?

Anybody successfully using IE 11 for these tasks?

Maybe I'll do a web search for problems with "IP Board" (this sites' software) and IE 11.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:49 PM

I've had those same issues on IE 11 for over a year on various different forums, even ones that I own and operate.

I never have found a solution and I even talked with Microsoft a couple of times... which turned out to be just circular reference solutions.. i.e., chasing my tail.

When I want to do any of them, I just start up Google Chrome, do the task, and then go back to the mundane stuff on IE 11.

Edited by Alley-Kat, 08 April 2014 - 06:49 PM.

#3 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:52 PM

I've had those same issues on IE 11 for over a year on various different forums, even ones that I own and operate.

I never have found a solution and I even talked with Microsoft a couple of times... which turned out to be just circular reference solutions.. i.e., chasing my tail.

When I want to do any of them, I just start up Google Chrome, do the task, and then go back to the mundane stuff on IE 11.

Dang! 

Thanks for the reply...even if it is bad news.   :)   <_<

Wonder if it's because IE 11 is too "standards-compliant" or not compliant enough?

There are posts on the support forum for WTW's software ("IP Board") about this...but I haven't looked hard enough to see if there are fixes/patches -- because it's WTW Admin's responsibility to do so.

#4 Janet H

Janet H

• Adminstrators
  • 468 posts
  • LocationEastern WA

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:13 PM

Dang! 

Thanks for the reply...even if it is bad news.   :)   <_<

Wonder if it's because IE 11 is too "standards-compliant" or not compliant enough?

Sadly, IE doesn't play well with many forum software platforms.  Generally in order to beat it into submission you have to lower your security settings to unacceptably low levels.

I suppose it's possible that the next update may see a solution but currently we have little to offer other than the recommendation to try Chrome or Firefox - both lovely browsers....

#5 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:18 PM

Sadly, IE doesn't play well with many forum software platforms. Generally in order to beat it into submission you have to lower your security settings to unacceptably low levels.

I suppose it's possible that the next update may see a solution but currently we have little to offer other than the recommendation to try Chrome or Firefox - both lovely browsers....

OK... So I guess I go back to Chrome as default browser, so that when I click on the link in a new-post-on-WTW email it opens the browser that works with WTW.  :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users