How often do you replace the water in your tank

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

I'm talking about the fresh water storage in our campers.  I sanitize at least twice a year but was wondering how often I should drain and replace.  I prefer to always have my tank full for quick trips and emergency water.  I've replaced on most trips but this time a year I go out at lest once a month and maybe I'm wasting water

#2 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:32 PM

Maybe just drain it into a 5 gal bucket and water your plants with it? That's what i do when I have to drain the water tank for whatever reason.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#3 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:33 PM

We let the remaining water swish around after a trip.  My theory is that it is better to have some water in there.

Before we head out on a new trip, we drain the tank and refill with fresh. 

If we went out on trips more frequently, I might not bother draining the tank between refills.  If the water has been in the tank for a month, I prefer to drain and start fresh.

As a side note, we have never had any off-flavor coming from our tank.  The water we have at home is from our well, so there's no chlorine either.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#4 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

Depends on how often we are camping. More than a couple of weeks and I drain and refill. If I know I an not going soon I will drain when I get back. +1 for putting on the plants. 

Note I did flush and dump my new water tank with a small amount of bleach, before putting it in the Hawk. I had hoped to not have any plastic taste. First trip I had some plastic taste, minuted later the wife said she tried the water and there was no plastic taste. We concluded that the plastic taste was from the hose and not the tank as it when away after the first small use. Looks like the bleach flush worked on the new tank. 

#5 KILR0Y

KILR0Y

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

I Empty After Each Use, And Refill Before Leaving On The Next. I Also Drop 2 Bleach Pellets (Used For Our Well) In The Tank Before Adding Water. We Don't Drink Out Of The Tank But Just Use For Washing And Cooking.

I Think The Pellets Treat 10 Gallons Of Water Each, According To The Well Supply Company. You Don't Want To Leave A Bag Of Pellets Out Exposed To The Air On The Floor Of Your Truck Or Camper, Because It Will Literally Eat Right Though The Floor And Onto The Ground Over Time... They Will Also Burn Your Exposed Skin While Handling. I Store Them In A Grolsh Beer Bottle, But Something Similar Will Also Work A Long As It Has A Tight Seal.

With This Setup I Can Draw Water Out Of A Creek Or River And Use It After The Chlorine Does Its Job.

#6 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:57 PM

I leave some in the tank, thinking that it will slosh around and since it is chlorinated it will help prevent mildew. I always fill with fresh before leaving. I have excellent water at my home so I don't even hook up the water when we full hook ups are avail. unless we run out.

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:42 PM

Whenever it runs low.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:44 AM

I ONLY FILL TANK WHEN GOING FOR SEVERAL NIGHTS, I WILL DRAIN THE TANK WHEN LEAVING MY CAMPING SPOT. IF I GO FOR A SHORT TRIP I WILL TAKE A GALLON OF WATER FOR COFFEE IN THE AM. I BELIEVE LEAVING WATER IN THE TANK, MORE SO WHEN HOT OUTSIDE WILL CAUSE A MILDEW PROBLEM, PLUS WITH THE CAMPER ON THE TRUCK FULL TIME, WHY CARRY THE EXTRA WEIGHT AROUND. 

#9 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:10 AM

Interesting.  We try to get out once a month and always have water in the tank.  The tank gets topped off either right after a trip or right before.  It gets drained and sanitized with bleach once a year.  All water going into the tank is run through a Camco Evo 5 micron filter.  The water is mainly used for bathing and washing, but if needed don't have any issues drinking it.  I like the idea of having water for an emergency and the camper is perfect.  I've never detected an odd taste or odor and if there was my wife would have noticed.

#10 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:17 AM

Our city water is so nasty that there is no way to drink it. I fill it and empty every time I go. I back the truck up to a tree at my house and let her rip.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users