• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 andylaughs

andylaughs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:33 AM

Hi folks! Brand new here. I just picked up an 80s cab over from a nice old couple and I'm really digging it, though she's going to need a little love. A lot of the exterior fasteners are rusted, so I'm going to replace them all with stainless. Top seals are a little dried out, but still malleable so I'll leave them alone til they absolutely need it.

The top door is a bit wonky and looks like it may have a little water damage in the jamb (nothing squishy like dry rot, but some of the hinge screws don't grab and are falling out). I'm debating whether to perform surgery or to just fill the holes with plastic wood and call it good.

The floor has a few gouges and scrapes on the exterior but no rot. I'm thinking I'll just fill anything really ugly and prime/paint with exterior latex. The PO had the exact same truck (04 Ford Super Duty short bed) so it's already been modded to fit the rear. I've also recaulked the seams with aluminum roof caulk.

The fridge is the original Domestic, which seems to be dead on electric but may work in LPG mode - I'm considering swapping in an ice box, since I tend to be on the road more than camped and would prefer not to run it while driving (obviously not on LPG!).

Does any of this make sense? Am I totally off base? I'm new to cabovers. I had a 5th wheel 3 years and used it maybe twice. Too big for my needs, no good for off road and I had to pay to store it. I'm still figuring out the mounting system. I tied it to my bed's inside cleats to get it home, but I'll need something more substantial in the long run. I love its weathered look - no desire to paint the scarred and faded aluminum. I do need to do something about the missing covers on three marker lights. Anyhow, I'd appreciate any feedback and advice on how to not kill myself on the road/trail!

#2 Buckwheat

Buckwheat

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA.

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:25 AM

Welcome.. I also put in an icebox in mine and a couple frozen milk jugs last a couple of days.

#3 caseboy

caseboy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Locationkey center,wa.

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

i took my fridge out all together. it's now a wood box with a door to the inside and a door to the outside.we just use an ice chest.

wes

#4 caseboy

caseboy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Locationkey center,wa.

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

oh yeah, welcome !

wes

#5 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

Welcome...there's a pile of good info here on frig's and exterior maintenance 

welcome to alaskan camper ownership....ship being the key word

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New owner cabover, 80s, adv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users