Simpleman (shanz3n5)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Locationcorona, ca

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:12 PM

Hi, This is john from Corona, CA

I have the '09 Grandy, with the 2 peace, seemed and screwed in roof, and 6 buckle clamps......

I'm looking at having a forward over the cab to front bumper rack built.... its gonna be out of the budget for sure.
i know that FWC says i can stow 1000lbs on the roof, distributed evenly...
here is my concern;

1. loaded roof top, pull over to crash on a road trip and having to unload the roof just to sleep. at camp site that wouldn't be an issue.
2. i would like to be able to add more then the 2 interior roof assist's, on the outside and have them removable when no topside load is an issue, so i can close.
3. wind drag and force on the 6 weak clamps, with a load, especially on a heavy head or cross wind days, and ripping the roof off.
4. the interior rear wall upright panel supports are tweaked a little. can i replace with something more durable and stout?

OR should i just have the rack built

Crystal Cove, Newport /Laguna CA

Also looking to see if anyone has fathomed this idea...

utility bed, I've located two companies in CA that will make a utility body for the camper, but 8-10k....gzzzzz come on man.
My '09 grandby is 57-3/4" wide in rear, it lives in a '03 Silvrado 2500 long bed. 1/2" to spare on each side.
The standard utility body is 49" wide for slide in.
Has anyone considered taking a standard utility body, and splitting it in half, then widening the the floor and and head board 8-10"????
I can pick up a good used standard body for 2-4k.
feed back please ?

#2 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

On the roof is really the last place to put stuff. It's in the wind (hurting fuel economy) and it moves the CG much further up (hurting stability).

If you're just needing room for stuff that isn't so long that the roof is the only option then the utility bed might be a good idea. I've searched CL for them in the past with a wide range of results.From cheep and beat-up to reasonable condition/price to nearly new at nearly new pricing. With a Granby your width is just behind the fender-wells, forwards of there it should be ~48" wide like all of the other FS campers. I'd consider buying a utility bed and notching the storage boxes just where you need camper clearance. Could buy a bed intended for a dually as they are usually wider overall and in the bed area. Not sure by how much, but am sure that with the rear tire recessed back in there a ways that it will look odd.

Another way to go, and is what I'm currently pondering, is to go with a flat bed and fill in the cavities with storage boxes.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#3 Simpleman (shanz3n5)

Simpleman (shanz3n5)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Locationcorona, ca

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:08 PM

thanx for the input....im kinda on that thought know as well with the notching out. ps, nice manx, sold mine about 15years ago. ill keep an update with my decision

thanx again

john

#4 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:10 AM

Guess the stability depends on what truck you're running. I routinely carry a 65# kayak on the roof with paddles, fishing poles, and other assorted things that go in the Basketcase. There's a solar panel and 4 78" Yakima bars, & Basketcase always on the roof. Probably the maximum load carried on top is around 150# and never had an issue and haven't seen any difference in gas mileage with my roof loaded or empty.

I use 3 plastic carryall bins plus a tool box inside mostly for firewood and my son's toys. The tool box carries things that are only used outside and is the last thing loaded.

Pretty sure there's a recent thread on here about someone building a rig with a Grandby mated to a utility bed.

#5 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

I guess it's the reformed dune buggy driver slash road racer turned desert racer in me that doesn't want any weight higher than it needs to be.

The tires and camper combo dropped our truck from a best of 19.9 mpg to a now best of 14 mpg. I want the 19.9 back, so I'm hesitant to do anything that moves me in the opposite direction.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#6 Simpleman (shanz3n5)

Simpleman (shanz3n5)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Locationcorona, ca

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

qwk lesson.......dont click off a post your replying to, to view a profile...haha just lost my reply to both of you guys.

in short.... i am going to my off road fabricator in wildermar, ca (riverside cnty area) to finalize the design of the forward over the cab rack build. His work is outstanding. he just finished up what i started on the mods to my kendon stand up trailer. ive used it to carry the dirt bike and the harley. it will be up for sale after paint, it just isnt what i intended it for, on the mild off road adventures i tend to find myself on when cash permits.

JHa6av8r -

ntsqd -

thanx for replies. i hear both concerns on pros and cons on the roof top set up. as far as fuel milage i can say that with my '03  silverado duramax i have in the past had many fuel issues. which i hope to have mastered by now. and willing to share as i see a pic with a gm truck,(diesel?) at anytime. I am down to about 17mpg and steady. best was new at about 22mpg. i run a different fuel system now for other reason the economy.

the utility and flat bed body- it really is time to break out the pencil and paper to see the pros and cons as well as cost. ive seen one ford with a Douglas aluminum utility body and FWC.....they quoted me 10k, gzzzz to poor for that bill haha

It is in the soon future to make and afford one or the other.

wish me luck today on build and design as well as price.... ill post pics asap.

thanx again gentlemen

ps i will be travling over the summer with my daughter to northern ca, and possibly to southern oregon (thats a stretch on cash) to visit family and wonder the western coast. (in secert to look for retirement place - 8yrs to go) Maybe meet up as some family is in the bay area. ntsqd - where is north so cal, haha

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users