GBW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:43 AM

Hello all,

During my winter basement renovations (well, now spring and soon summer...), having a new kid, life etc, I have forgone my camper renovations and upgrades to accommodate our little girl.  Canada's May long weekend is coming up and I haven't done a thing to arrange for her to sleep in the camper.  She'll be 14 months and just in the learning stages of standing and stumbling around like daddy does after a few too many pints.  So she likes to sometimes stand up in her crib, so i'm a little concerned about where she will sleep.  Other than cutting a few air holes in a cardboard box and setting it on the bench, I have no ideas.  Obviously I won't do that.  We were thinking of trying to set up her pack and play inside the camper but that thing is so huge.  

I'm thinking I need a rail which can somehow attach to the bench which needs to be rather sturdy and about 2' high.  Maybe we can just stuff her into a ton of winter clothes that she can't stand up?  Thoughts?  What do you guys do with your new to walking children or grandchildren?

Ideally, when I finally get time, I alter the bench and make it the same height as the wooden section which extends over the box rails.  We really don't use the bench much and would much rather sit outside.  This would allow me to have a much larger bed.  

Setting up the bed as normal may work for this weekend, but its sure not ideal with the 4.783cm of leg room to manoeuvre around on the floor.  Maybe just stack some clothes bags against the cabinets and let the kid wander around without issues of falling or getting stuck in between the cabinets and the edge of the bed.

PS - sleeping with her is awful.  She's like a little mini cute pig.  She snorts, grunts, farts, tosses and turns, flails arms.  Well, that could also be me but I like to blame the kid.

2003 Dodge 2500 CCSB CTD auto

2001 FWC Hawk

#2 FleetFooted

FleetFooted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:25 AM

We faced the same situation with our 19 month old and I had similar thoughts. Everything you think about building yourself, though, you have to wonder about "troubleshooting" the safety problems and quickly conclude this is not an area for experimenting. We ended up getting a PeaPod Plus Travel bed which is actually a tiny little tent:

http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_cp_ba_0

We stuck our own memory foam pad inside of it which his flannel crib sheet fit perfectly. Baby (in the tent) and Mommy slept up in the fully pulled out (Fleet model) bed and I slept down below and it worked out great. Next time we'll try baby down below.

If you hunt around enough on the web you'll find that the older model of this little tent had a disastrous safety problem due to the lack of mesh walls all the way down the sides in combination with very young infants.

Anyway, we had a great trip using this and we all just went to bed at the same time (as far as the baby was concerned).

#3 FleetFooted

FleetFooted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:34 AM

Oh, and I should mention we followed the advice of one of the Amazon reviewers and had him play in the tent before the trip so he had lots of good associations with it before feeling like he was in prison when it was time for the first night's sleep. We had to get a little creative on the trip with keeping him happy and leaving the door open while he fell asleep, etc. but it all worked out fine and before long he figured out this was his new crib and we were able to just zip him up in it for the night.

Edited by FleetFooted, 09 May 2014 - 03:02 PM.

#4 AK Nomad

AK Nomad

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:58 PM

We either stacked up clothes bags/pillows/diapers beside the lower bed as you suggested  ---   or   ---  they slept up top with us.  An adult would sleep at the edge so baby couldn't roll off.  They dont take up much room at that age.......memories!

#5 dsommers9

dsommers9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the same thing in our Hawk, accidently stumbled onto a solution that worked for us.  We just keep the cushion on the bench over the top of the water tank (you usually remove this to fold out the bed) and stack some of our clothes/jacket on top of it.  Then when you start to fold the couch out into the bed, the backrest doesn't go all the way down and turns into a pseudo-rail to keep the child in the bed.  Extra bonus of being able to walk around and use the sink without the bed being in the way.

#6 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:14 PM

Our young daughter has been sleeping on the rollover couch since she was 15 months old.  We don't ever sleep with her and have raised her from day one to sleep alone.

We simply put a lot of blankets on the bed with her and roll some up to prevent her from falling into the gap between the bed and the cabinets.  It works like a champ and nothing else is needed for her.  When we get in bed later in the evening we simply climb over her to get in the upper bunk and she wakes up with a smile and says, "hi mommy, hi daddy."

Our second is on the way.  Life is good!

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#7 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

Our young daughter has been sleeping on the rollover couch since she was 15 months old.  We don't ever sleep with her and have raised her from day one to sleep alone.

We simply put a lot of blankets on the bed with her and roll some up to prevent her from falling into the gap between the bed and the cabinets.  It works like a champ and nothing else is needed for her.  When we get in bed later in the evening we simply climb over her to get in the upper bunk and she wakes up with a smile and says, "hi mommy, hi daddy."

This a great thread. I'm going through the same situation with my 7 month barely sleep-trained daughter. Couple weeks ago, we canceled a camping trip due to weather so we never got to try out any sleep configurations. We did buy this smaller play pen because our daughter rolls around like crazy and its much smaller than our pack n play:

http://www.target.co...lot=medium_1_34

I was going to put this play yard in the aisle but it was about 1 inch too wide for my Eagle with roller over couch. We decided to keep it and use it for traveling. I think I'll deploy my  roller couch and place this play yard on top of the couch but I need figure a way to secure. 

The simplest and most ideal situation is just using the rollover couch and using the back rest as a barrier but there is  a ledge/space on the window side so I need to fill it with plywood or some other material. Being a first time Dad, I little paranoid about baby sleep safety. 

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#8 bmk

bmk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:00 AM

We bought an Arm's Reach Mini Co-Sleeper, cut out the top canopy support area, moved the pad to the bottom, it's basically like a mini pack n play now.  It fits perfectly on the floor of our Grandby, and at night we can get up and down via the lower side bed (we have the dinette).  No worries about the little guy rolling off a bed, or exploring the camper at night, it works awesome. 

My Rig: 2003 Dodge 3500 CTD Camper: 2013 Grandby Silver Spur, fully loaded

#9 GBW

GBW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

Congratulations on the 2nd kid brewing.  We're starting to have talks about the 2nd ourselves.  

I'm thinking of following your train of thought.  There are a ton of options with pack and plays, etc and I'm getting overwhelmed!  This is the simplest method.  Still a pain to get in and out of the camper at night.  I'm not ready for bed when she is, we'll go out and sit around the campfire for a few hours. I do have a few fears of potentially having to upgrade to a larger camper when #2 comes along.

We bought an Arm's Reach Mini Co-Sleeper, cut out the top canopy support area, moved the pad to the bottom, it's basically like a mini pack n play now.  It fits perfectly on the floor of our Grandby, and at night we can get up and down via the lower side bed (we have the dinette).  No worries about the little guy rolling off a bed, or exploring the camper at night, it works awesome. 

We also have an Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper (funny, we had to order it out of the states and bring it across the border ourselves.  Canada doesn't allow them????)  We're hoping to have another kid, so I'm not wanting to permanently modify the sleeper yet.

I'll have to think about options.  Some great ideas here.  Thanks guys, really appreciate it.  I figured there would be some great ideas.  The snow has just melted up here and the camper is still stored away.  I don't support the floor but I lower it to be as close to the ground as possible but i'm not able to climb inside to take proper measurements.  I'll have to get it on the truck soon!!  I'm currently just eye balling measurements.  I'll have to test an idea - cutting a sheet of plywood which will sit on the foam bench.  I have some sturdy action packers which are close to the same height at the top of the foam bench, I can shim them up if needed too.  I could set the pack and play ontop of the plywood which spans across the bench.  It looks like it will fit under my pull out upper bunk.  I'll obviously check that everything is sturdy before use but its just an idea.

Edited by GBW, 11 May 2014 - 06:45 PM.

2001 FWC Hawk

#10 GBW

GBW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:05 PM

Back for an update.  We sucessfully camped this Canadian long weekend.  We went down to Eureka Montana area.  My wife and I are pretty big rock climbers and there is some amazing crags to explore down there.  Its only about a 4 hr drive for us and the cheap beer and fuel draw us down every time.  We were with a group and stayed in a backwoods campsite.  We had a large grass area and the few kids that were there could play with each other and run around wild.  Mine was the littlest one.  She just crawled after the older kids as they ran around.  She would get bored sometimes and start sticking things in her mouth...  oh well, builds immunity up, I guess.

We ended up using a little screen shade tent  http://www.kidco.com...d/peapod-p3011/  Not exactly this model but you get the idea.  We folded out the bench to make a bed and she nicely tucked up under the pull out overhead bed.  Worked extremely well.  It worked well for afternoon naps in the shade.  I thought i might have to set up my camper but she was content to sleep in her tent in the shade.  Worked well with the bug situation as well.

I also got an aluminum cargo roof rack.  I don't put much up there but it is a godsend for her stroller.  That thing is so big and bulky, catches sand and dirt, pine needles etc.  I just throw it up there and a quick ratched strap and its good to roll.

2001 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users