Photo
- - - - -

Bears & Restrictions Against Soft-Side Pop-Up Campers?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:42 PM

Have any folks been in the situation where they weren't allowed to camp in an area -- in one of our soft-side pop-up campers -- because of problems/presence of bears, a hardside-RV-only restriction?  Mainly asking about the ID/MT/WY area.

(I'm posting here in Trip Planning because it affects the planning of my upcoming trip.)

longhorn1 mentioned the possibility of this restriction on my ID-MT-WY trip planning topic, and 20 years ago in Glacier N.P. I camped in a c.g. that had this restriction posted (this was pre-camper -- I slept in the canopy-covered bed of my truck).

I assume that these restrictions, where they exist, are because of grizzly bears, not black bears...but I don't know.

I'm not familiar with this situation, don't know how common it is, as it's been 20 years since I've camped in griz country.

I'm mainly asking about the legal aspects, the restrictions, not whether our campers are actually unsafe/less-safe around bears.  (That is, I'm sure that a grizzly could tear the door off even a hardside RV if they wanted to -- even black bears have bent car doors open in Yosemite Valley.)

So:  Are hard-side-only restrictions common in ID/MT/WY (like, in many N.F. and N.P. areas) or are they rare -- only in places where there's been a special problem with bears?

Thanks. :)

(I know I've read this topic discussed on WTW before...but I can't find it right now, and I asked the same question here, but I wanted to make the question more prominent.)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 mitch h

mitch h

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Locationbrazil,in.

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:20 PM

Mark, I think I posted on the wrong page.Try agin. We stayed in Glacier two years ago. Never seen or heard of any restriction. Stayed outside Yellowstone , northeast side too. We have a grandby. If you are close to Northeast side check out Lamar valley and Island lake N.P. Beautiful country. Carry bear spray and do not hike alone.Hopefully going back this Sept. Safe and happy travels.  Mitch

#3 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

Mark, I think I posted on the wrong page.Try agin. We stayed in Glacier two years ago. Never seen or heard of any restriction. Stayed outside Yellowstone , northeast side too. We have a grandby. If you are close to Northeast side check out Lamar valley and Island lake N.P. Beautiful country. Carry bear spray and do not hike alone.Hopefully going back this Sept. Safe and happy travels.  Mitch

Thanks, Mitch. 

#4 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:44 PM

Mark,  I was checking out some camping sites at Yellowstone on Lake Yellowstone and one of the 2 sites states hard side only.   I found the same thing in Cook City.  I will try to check again.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#5 mitch h

mitch h

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Locationbrazil,in.

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

When we stayed in Yellowstone, we stayed at tower falls [ I thank thats the name] and Grant Village. RVs to tents. Only thing was no clothes lines. Elk were in rutting season. We had no reservations but were lucky and got a spot. It was pretty crowed.

#6 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

I can't find that old thread either on pop ups and griz that I posted and placed links (old content gone before 2013?).

This what I recall, after the Soda Creek attack near Cooke City, MT the NFS closed campgrounds to pop up campers that had soft sides within 4' (or something) from the ground. Our TRUCK campers, as opposed to pop up trailers, have the soft sides starting at about 7 or so feet...mine closer to 8'. FWC were OK and I camped there soon after with no problems.

That was in 2010 and I don't know what has transpired since....but the nice thing about FWC is that if necessary you could leave the top down. Love my roll over stealth camping couch.

kUK3mb2.jpg

Edited by rotti, 01 June 2014 - 10:12 PM.

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#7 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:04 PM

Thanks rotti -- I knew I remembered reading the topic here before.

(old content should still be there, unless there was some kind of glitch with that particular topic/post.)

In my current plan, such as it is, I probably won't camp in Yellowstone at all, though I may drive through via Beartooth Pass from MT.

In Glacier I may camp at Bowman Lake, as suggested by a couple folks in my trip planning topic.

Otherwise I plan to mostly wander around less-touristed areas.

#8 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:21 PM

Camped at Bowman Lake last summer and no restrictions (don't forget huckleberry bear claws at Polebridge).

fHGjLzz.jpg

JihoMIV.jpg

Get gas beforehand.

RU36eJz.jpg

You will love the Beartooth.

Z3F1GbB.jpg

Edited by rotti, 01 June 2014 - 10:22 PM.

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:27 PM

Mark,  I was checking out some camping sites at Yellowstone on Lake Yellowstone and one of the 2 sites states hard side only.   I found the same thing in Cook City.  I will try to check again.

That campground in Yellowstone you mentioned is always hard sided only.

We have camped in the park 3 times in a pop up trailer than 5 times with our ATC and haven't had any problems getting spots.

Grant usually doesn't open until later in the spring due to the amount of bear in the are.

I have always been impressed with the bear management at the park.They are very strict about "clean" sites and will take equipment left out that doesn't belong out.

If you notice the park doesn't have many bear box's and has a lot of tent campers.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:30 PM

Camped at Bowman Lake last summer and no restrictions (don't forget huckleberry bear claws at Polebridge).

Get gas beforehand.

You will love the Beartooth.

Camped at Bowman in 08 and loved it. Also the "bear claws" are good.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users