• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#11 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:53 AM

I'm curious about this because I've read conflicting accounts: does it help with lifting the front, the back, or both ends when you have the internal struts?

2012 Eagle Shell with a few extras

#12 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:24 AM

I'm curious about this because I've read conflicting accounts: does it help with lifting the front, the back, or both ends when you have the internal struts?

With only the Yakima bars, Basketcase, & solar panel, they make lifting both ends easier. When the roof is loaded, I can lift the rear but getting the front up that last bit to lock it in place can be a challenge.

#13 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:38 AM

It's a whole new world to me now; instead of starting first from the back of the fwc, siting on the couch and pushing upwards :wacko: , I go to the front, stand under the wood cross roof brace push up easy like, then reach out and push the front brace forward to lock it in place, then walk back to the rear and give that back  panel  and roof a push and it is up and no more grunting and cuss words. My solar panels weigh about 32 lbs and from what fwc says I can probably put a boat up there and be okay. Comes down in a flash, just have to check the outside folds like i always do to make sure they are under the roof. Just in time for the chance of snow on Friday :D !

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#14 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:11 AM

Camper101, I installed the front and rear external struts, not the 2 inside. They are 30 lbs. lift each. They help a great deal while lifting and takes the stress out of dropping that weight when closing (nice and easy drop). It will probably pay for itself over time taking the wear and tear out when closing up. I had used the speaker stand crank and it worked fine over the last 3 years, but now I have a lot more weight up there and I could hear the crank complain. I keep the crank in the camper still anyway... always have a back-up.

Edited by buckland, 30 October 2014 - 08:57 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#15 CamperCarl

CamperCarl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 03:20 PM

If my Grandby roof isn't damaged by the time we travel north, I will head to Woodland to have the fix done at the factory and get a few more answers. 

#16 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 24 November 2014 - 04:46 PM

I have not looked at the strut threads in a while.  When I did a test lift of a roof at the factory I was surprised how easy it was.  Then when I picked up my new camper with a solar panel on top it was nearly impossible.  It would have been nice to get a warning of how dramatically this would effect the roof lift. 

Anyway, I went for about a year then starting seeing the DIY threads here about rear lift assists.  I went to FWC and Tom actually had the factory attempt to add them to his Fleet and they explained all the issues with it and why it was still not recommended or approved by the factory, even though there were many DIY's.  This was late summer 2012.  I had them install the internal front lift assists but have continued with no lift assists in the back, other than foam and my hard head.

So, what has changed that FWC now does rear lift assists?  Did they change something on newer campers or did they just figure out how to do it given how important it is to their customers?

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

#17 Oryguntroutbum

Oryguntroutbum

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:28 AM

Anyone else had a problem with the reinforcement plates (that were part of the recall) rusting?  Mine are pitting out pretty bad.

2014 Dodge 2500 4x4, Cummins TD2021 FWC Hawk<p>

#18 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:58 PM

Thought I'd add the photos of the 1/4" aluminum plate I added to strengthen and kick out the ball clips. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4830.jpeg
  • IMG_4829.jpeg

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#19 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:39 AM

Anyone else had a problem with the reinforcement plates (that were part of the recall) rusting?  Mine are pitting out pretty bad.

Yep. Rusting away. Was surprised that for all the expense assumed in performing the recall, they didn't use aluminum or stainless steel. The repair was certainly strong enough but somewhat unsightly as there is a big arrow pointing at each one (the struts). And I frequently show possible buyers my Hawk. 

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#20 EDR

EDR

• Members
  • 177 posts
  • LocationSE WA

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:10 AM

Buckland,
I like the idea of spreading the load.
How did you secure the plates?
2007 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users