28 replies to this topic

#1 imix

imix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

Wondering if anyone has installed these new thin solar panels and if they have an opinon. Advantages to a FWC/ATC owner seem obvious, particularly the weight, as we have to lift our roofs.

Please ignore the fact that these newRV, trust fund hipster kids need a serious beating.

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

There have been a few posts/threads about using flexible solar panels on the camper roof, for example:

Solar without drilling any holes

Even More Solar Questions

Solar Questions

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:50 PM

I have now 3 panels (340 watts) very similar to the ones on that video. Very easy to install. Very durable and aerodynamic. I've been through some heavy wind in Southern Idaho and Wyoming with no problem.
They are a perfect application for FWC roofs because of the weight and size.

I originally thought they may lose power on a hot day without ventilation underneath them. But there is no real loss of voltage having them glued to the roof.

The one thing I can't quite solve is the maze of wiring you need to connect them all together. It's the same problem you see in their video. That part is not as clean as the flush mounts I've seen others do.

The upside is that you can add onto your system whenever you want. And it's super easy to do.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#4 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

I have a renogy flexible 100 watt panel. I don't have it installed on the roof but have been using it remotely with a plug off the side of my camper. I store it between my mattresses when traveling. I consistently get above 5 amps with optimum sun.

#5 huskyrunnr

huskyrunnr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:30 AM

I installed my Renogy flexible 100 watt on the roof of my Alaskan using  "extreme titanium" velcro. It works fine for wind, I don't drive down the road with the panel mounted and I don't plan to do that experiment in the future. I wanted a setup where I could also park in the shade and put the panel nearby in the sun.

One day, astounded by my own brilliance, I just leaned the panel against the front windshield of the truck so that I was getting optimum angle of the panel AND ventilation behind the panel. How smart is that? I came back at the end of the day and the panel had nasty creases along lines between the mounting rivets. The panel still works but it sure looks ugly now. It looks like I tried to fold it up and and carry it home under my arm.

Apparently these things need to be continuously supported by a solid surface.

#6 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:42 AM

I installed my Renogy flexible 100 watt on the roof of my Alaskan using  "extreme titanium" velcro. It works fine for wind, I don't drive down the road with the panel mounted and I don't plan to do that experiment in the future. I wanted a setup where I could also park in the shade and put the panel nearby in the sun.

One day, astounded by my own brilliance, I just leaned the panel against the front windshield of the truck so that I was getting optimum angle of the panel AND ventilation behind the panel. How smart is that? I came back at the end of the day and the panel had nasty creases along lines between the mounting rivets. The panel still works but it sure looks ugly now. It looks like I tried to fold it up and and carry it home under my arm.

Apparently these things need to be continuously supported by a solid surface.

So did it warp randomly from heat or did it bend to the shape of what was behind it? A pic would be nice.

I put mine in my dash one day and it stayed bowed for a few days but returned back to its shape. I have also been putting mine directly on the windshield (outside) and have not had it bend.

I also considered mounting mine with velcro so I could remove it for shady spots but I am tempted to try it while driving. Maybe I can be the genie pig. Is extreme titanium velcro stronger than the "double lock."

FWIW I also remember reading that there was a reputable solar company who did not want to brand these panels under their name because after continuous exposure to sun they have a tendency to cup. I refrained from posting because I could not find the article so take it for what you want.

#7 huskyrunnr

huskyrunnr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:28 AM

I couldn't say on the velcro comparison. I had used the titanium before to mount a fan in a swamp cooler box and I was impressed with the strength of both the glue and the hook/loop.

Here are a couple of pics of the panel and how it was sitting on the windshield. It was 100+ *F outside most of the day. The panel was not fully supported by the windshield because I was trying to optimize panel angle.

Interesting tidbit about the branding...

I'm still impressed with the panel and would buy another.

panel1_zpsa933011c.jpg

panel2_zpsb16cd057.jpg

Edited by huskyrunnr, 20 August 2014 - 02:28 AM.

#8 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:38 AM

I have a renogy flexible 100 watt panel. I don't have it installed on the roof but have been using it remotely with a plug off the side of my camper. I store it between my mattresses when traveling. I consistently get above 5 amps with optimum sun.

I like this approach- lightweight, space-saving and remotely useable. Curious- how do you deploy the panel? Lay it on the ground or on the truck or what? What do you use for a controller? Do you have a cover to protect it while it is stored (our mattress cover might be a bit abrasive)?

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#9 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:02 PM

This is something I'd like to have but stick it the roof and forget about it.  My only concern is if something were to happen and the panel goes bad, how would I remove it?  Is there an adhesive that will "let go" and not be permanent but will let you leave it there and drive?  I think 100W would be plenty for my minimal power use.  

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#10 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

Husky- I can't believe it looks like it just spontaneously bowed out. I'm glad I saw this so I can avoid it on my own. That makes me a little hesitant to put it on my roof permanently but maybe the glue will help ensure it maintains its shape.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users