• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#11 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

I like this approach- lightweight, space-saving and remotely useable. Curious- how do you deploy the panel? Lay it on the ground or on the truck or what? What do you use for a controller? Do you have a cover to protect it while it is stored (our mattress cover might be a bit abrasive)?

I just lay it where it's convenient, usually my windshield, the top of the camper or on a table. I have a 40 ft cable and a10 ft cable I made myself. Since the panel is a little flexible it makes it hard to angle it toward the sun at times because there isn't a good way to prop it up. The foldable glass panels are nice because you can use a stick or whatever and get all kinds of angles.

I have renogy's LCD display 30 amp charge controller which I DO NOT recommend. The voltage is off by .02 volts and it only charges my battery at 13 volts and is not adjustable. A morningstar would be preferable.

I have just been putting it under there without worrying too much but I try to get the sheet on top of it between the mattresses. I don't notice any significant scratches.

#12 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

This is something I'd like to have but stick it the roof and forget about it.  My only concern is if something were to happen and the panel goes bad, how would I remove it?  Is there an adhesive that will "let go" and not be permanent but will let you leave it there and drive?  I think 100W would be plenty for my minimal power use.

I was wondering the same thing as you. That's why I was considering the Velcro. Someone who knows about adhesives please chime in.

#13 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

Sorry for all the separate posts but I like to keep all the responded organized.

Another thing to consider if permanently mounting this panel is abuse during bushwhacking.

On my last trip I went through a lot of low trees. If I had this panel mounted at the time it would like be damaged pretty badly. I am not sure if it would reduce the efficiency but I imagine it would.

#14 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:04 AM

I've had no issue with distortion of the panels to this point. Two of the three are nearly a year old with probably 30-40 days of camping and sunlight.
For me having them on the roof is much easier that always moving a panel around.
I have extra so I can charge with less sunlight or park in the shade or anything else I need to do. It makes my trips much more flexible.

Edited by DrJ, 21 August 2014 - 12:05 AM.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#15 huskyrunnr

huskyrunnr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:23 AM

Yeah, I don't think the panel would have warped if it had been entirely in contact with the windshield, or anything flat or smoothly curved to support the whole surface of the panel. A rigid frame around the perimeter might have worked too. Live and learn.

#16 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

I was wondering the same thing as you. That's why I was considering the Velcro. Someone who knows about adhesives please chime in.

I know almost nothing about adhesives, but I've seen vague references to panels that have been removed with a heat gun. I have to imagine that the roof gets pretty beat up in the process. Not sure if it works on all types of adhesives either.

I'm also very curious, as I'm a few days away from sticking one of these on my roof. It works now, hope it keeps working...

2012 Eagle Shell with a few extras

#17 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:37 PM

I just lay it where it's convenient, usually my windshield, the top of the camper or on a table. I have a 40 ft cable and a10 ft cable I made myself. Since the panel is a little flexible it makes it hard to angle it toward the sun at times because there isn't a good way to prop it up. The foldable glass panels are nice because you can use a stick or whatever and get all kinds of angles.

I have renogy's LCD display 30 amp charge controller which I DO NOT recommend. The voltage is off by .02 volts and it only charges my battery at 13 volts and is not adjustable. A morningstar would be preferable.

I have just been putting it under there without worrying too much but I try to get the sheet on top of it between the mattresses. I don't notice any significant scratches.

Thanks for the info. :)

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#18 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:27 PM

Has anyone tried one of the foamcore or corrugated/honeycomb products to glue the Renogy flexible panels like these:
http://www.foamcoreheaven.com/

It would seem to have the advantage of light weight and yet be rigid enough to protect the panel somewhat.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#19 crazybill

crazybill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationCaliente, CA.

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:21 PM

Does anyone have real numbers on these panels compared to advertised numbers? Open circuit voltage on a sunny day should be pretty easy to get.

-Bill-

1991 Dodge W350 CTD SRW

1996 Dodge W3500 CTD DRW

#20 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

In a brief test I got 4.75 amps for a minute or so out of a Global Solar 90 watt flexible panel (I think they advertise 5.4 amps). It jumped up to 4.9 amps for a moment. I didn't write down how many volts but it was over 20 (maybe 22?).

It was Noon in Colorado about a week ago, just a wisp or 2 of thin/high clouds (I hooked up a different panel after to test it as well - a glass Renology 100 watt that was putting out less - and that's when I looked up and saw there were some wisps in between me and the sun). Not sure if the clouds were there when I did the flexible panel.

The battery was drawn down a bit, maybe between 60-80% if you forced me to guess.

Note that the panel is not permanently installed on my roof yet, and that was only a few minutes. Supposedly efficiency would go down after it gets hot (it was hot to touch), but supposedly those CIGS panels don't lose as much when they're hot. That's the extent of my solar knowledge...

Edited to add: the panel was flat on the roof.

Edited by camper101, 25 August 2014 - 05:37 PM.

2012 Eagle Shell with a few extras

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users