Roof Lifter Detail

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:25 PM

Some folks have been asking for more detail on the roof lifter I made. The first pictures didn't give much detail.

The lifter is made from 1" and 3/4" steel tubing. The stationary piece is a 46" long 3/4" tube with a 16" long 1" tube as a slide guide. The slider is 3/4" tube 46" long. The feet are 1 2/2" wide by 3 1/2 long. I bolted the slide guide on but it could be welded and have a cleaner look. Most of the materials I had around the shop so I just used what came to hand. I used a velcro band on the bottom of the slider to keep it aligned but a guide of some sort could be fabbed.

The u bolt at the bottom keeps the pulley block from binding against the side. The pulley blocks are hardware grade and I will use something like a couple of Harken dinghy micro blocks for a smoother action in the future. I may move the top pulley block out away from the slide guide as it tends to lay at an angle and binds the pulley slightly.

Weighs about eight pounds. I store it strapped to the floor next to the cabinet. Put something like the door mat under the foot when lifting heavy loads. What I like is I can sit on the couch, raise the roof section, lock it off with the cleat and set the end panel. It really helps when lowering with a load on the top as you use the cleat to add friction to the rope and can control the load as it comes down.

I had to move the front lift point back about five inches to allow a straight lift angle. The bumpers allow the top foot to clear the slide bolt on the rear section. I used sash pulls on the lifting plates to keep the top from shifting and going through the roof. I do have to lift slightly off center on the front to clear the panel setting rod but it works fine.

Desertrat

Attached Thumbnails

• truck 050.jpg
  • truck 047.jpg
  • truck 052.jpg

#2 Star152

Star152

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 05:38 PM

Very cool........ Great job now I can reduce the size of my lift thanks for posting.
05 Ford F250 LB V10 04 FWC Grandby

#3 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:48 AM

I changed the hardware store grade pully blocks with some Harken micro ball bearing blocks. It improved the action and decreased the effort required to lift the roof.
Dsrtrat

Attached Thumbnails

• roof lifter mod 00111.jpg
  • roof lifter mod 00311.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users