Photo

Gotta love 3way refers... is it time to get DC?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:19 PM

I'm sure you can get the 3-way fridge fixed as I have heard there is nothing on them that isn't cheaply repaired......... BUT......... once you get a compressor fridge dialed in they are sweet!

If the money thing is worrying you I will share my costs with you so you can get an accurate idea.
-I scored my fridge for $600 (5% off due to a dent in the back) so figure $700 is findable.
-I am running my fridge off 2 gc2 golf cart batteries for a total of 200 amp hours. I got 2 dekas for $460 picked up from a local store.
-I have a single remote 100 watt panel from renogy and their cheap charge controller. The panel was $200 and the controller was $30. I also paid $40 for a 40 ft cable.

You can save some money by just starting with the batteries. This should get you through 2-3 days alone and if you see a 4th day you can run your truck for a few hours to get you through.

Once you get solar consider a "good" charge controller that has user programable, multi-stage charging like a Morningstar. No need to waste money on MPPT just get PWM.

So to summarize you can get started for under $1200 if you go for it but that is about the minimum without finding used stuff.

If all this isn't enough info you can hit me up or wait until I post my "Idiots guide" I'm working on that should help people in your same situation.

Edited by Ethergore, 11 September 2014 - 03:23 AM.

#12 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:16 PM

Good info thanks!  

Yes, I can get it fixed and have been calling the local RV shops.  If it's the cooling unit, then it's about $600 so may as well buy a new one.  

I think with a couple of 6v golf cart batteries I could make the compressor fridge work.  How do you vent the batteries?  That is my biggest concern is the venting.  Or are your batteries AGM's?  

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#13 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:53 PM

That's a lot to fix a 3 way fridge. Go dc! The batteries are AM for that price. If you want to figure out hot to vent them, which I don't recommend, you can get two batteries for $200.

#14 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

Honda  generator uses 1 gal of gas per hour. There is a kit to modify it to run propane. 

DrJ and photohc have over 250 watts of solar on the roof and two batteries.

My 3 cents (inflation) is flexible solar panels from Renology of Uni-solar cut down on the weight allow for more wattage on the roof 

and driving truck or idling the truck 1-2 hours per day add to the solar output on cloudy days.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#15 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:19 PM

Jim, 

I don't think a little 2000ui will use that much fuel.  The Honda or Yamaha have a 1 gal tank and run time is 8-9 hours with a light load. I'm guessing 6 or 7 hours on a heavy load.  I'm having a hard time with solar since the sun up here is not really that plentiful (non existent in the winter) and I tend to camp in the forest under the canopy. If I was a desert rat I might think differently.  If DrJ's recent numbers are right, running a genny 3 hours a day is about all I'll need if I'm staying in one place.  While this summer has been sunny and hot in Oregon, there is only maybe 2 or 3 months at most where there is decent sun west of the Cascades.  

2005 FWC Grandby

#16 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:08 PM

I ran my Honda EU2000i during the Hood-To-Coast relay from about 20:30 to 06:30. I did not use the entire 1.1 gal of fuel. I kept a small battery charger running on an external 100aH battery used for ham radio communications as I was responsible for emergency comms at a race exchange in a remote locations without cell coverage.

I had my camper plugged in with the refer running, plus 3 fluorescent flood lights of 65 watts each and another of 10 watts.  I occasionally ran the water pump to draw water and had several of the camper lights on for extended periods.  I think I could survive on the smaller EU1000i with careful load management.

The more difficult issue with these small generators is keeping them secure and and managing the safety issues related to storing and handling the fuel. Now considering a small off road utility trailer that can be locked up and also carry kayaks at a lower height than the top of the camper. Moving most of the water storage off the truck suspension would be a better idea also.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#17 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:39 PM

Jim,

I don't think a little 2000ui will use that much fuel. The Honda or Yamaha have a 1 gal tank and run time is 8-9 hours with a light load. I'm guessing 6 or 7 hours on a heavy load. I'm having a hard time with solar since the sun up here is not really that plentiful (non existent in the winter) and I tend to camp in the forest under the canopy. If I was a desert rat I might think differently. If DrJ's recent numbers are right, running a genny 3 hours a day is about all I'll need if I'm staying in one place. While this summer has been sunny and hot in Oregon, there is only maybe 2 or 3 months at most where there is decent sun west of the Cascades.

I have done just that with my 2000 watt honda generator. It produces enough power to charge through the IOTA the same as if you were hooked up at home.

It's a really easy solution to this problem. And that generator is incredibly efficient.

It's kind of a pain to carry around along with the gas can to make it all work. Otherwise it's a great setup.

I would assume the 1000 watt could do a pretty good job too and even use less gas.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#18 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:03 PM

Thanks.  Kinda confirms what I've been thinking.  My thought for fuel is a rotopax mounted to the back of the camper.  I've thought about a 1000w but if I buy a 2000w I can use it to run refers and freezers at home in an emergency/disaster situation so it will serve more than one purpose.  Sounds like for me this will be the way I should head.  Easy solution....just not cheap.  haha! 

2005 FWC Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users