21 replies to this topic

#1 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:36 PM

I made a check list of the different things to do when loading, unloading the camper, raising the roof, lower the roof etc.  We got to our camping site late and wanted to eat so we never got around to leveling the camper.  We were good front to back but not side to side.  I figured I would put my Anderson levelers behind both left side tires. and back up.  Only thing I forgot the awning was out and the legs staked.  Moved about 8" and was lucky that the ground was so hard I could drive the stacks all the way in.  No damage.

Second mistake, while we stopped at home to unload everything before taking the camper to the storage place, we forgot to empty the water tank.  Off loaded the camper and set on the plywood crosses, when the thought came across my mind that we forgot to do it at home.  Had about 13 gallons in the tank.  I emptied the tank there, and I think I escaped again.

So much to learn and so much to do.

Even though the turn buckles were tight when we left, I found the right side ones loose when we check this morning.  For some reason the camper shifted to the right side of the bed.  The left side was tight when I check.  Not sure why this happened. 

I'm sure the more we use the camper things will become second nature.

If you have a different way to preventing a stupid mistake, let me know.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:52 PM

If you have a different way to preventing a stupid mistake, let me know.

Nope -- we have a whole thread here on the subject:

Done something really stupid?

Just make a list and check it twice...but even then...

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:52 PM

Worried about the tank freezing?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:54 PM

Worried about the tank freezing?

That's what I was going to ask -- what the problem was with leaving water in the tank? 

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#5 strayDog

strayDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationNorthern Calif

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:57 AM

I made a check list of the different things to do when loading, unloading the camper, raising the roof, lower the roof etc.  We got to our camping site late and wanted to eat so we never got around to leveling the camper.  We were good front to back but not side to side.  I figured I would put my Anderson levelers behind both left side tires. and back up.  Only thing I forgot the awning was out and the legs staked.  Moved about 8" and was lucky that the ground was so hard I could drive the stacks all the way in.  No damage.

Second mistake, while we stopped at home to unload everything before taking the camper to the storage place, we forgot to empty the water tank.  Off loaded the camper and set on the plywood crosses, when the thought came across my mind that we forgot to do it at home.  Had about 13 gallons in the tank.  I emptied the tank there, and I think I escaped again.

So much to learn and so much to do.

Even though the turn buckles were tight when we left, I found the right side ones loose when we check this morning.  For some reason the camper shifted to the right side of the bed.  The left side was tight when I check.  Not sure why this happened. 

I'm sure the more we use the camper things will become second nature.

If you have a different way to preventing a stupid mistake, let me know.r

Buy two tire chocks( walmart the small yellow ones) whenever you stop and make changes to your set up put one front and back. Cardinial Rule... never remove chocks untill you 've made all your checks no matter how sure you are. This way driving down the road you'll remember pulling the chocks and feel confident you made all your checks. Works for me. ( so far)  Never break the Cardinal Rule!

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:28 PM

We prefer to park at home with a dry tank so that 'stuff' doesn't grow in the water.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:05 PM

We live in an area with little or no frost so my tank can stay full with a couple drops of bleach than come camping time just drain and fill with fresh .

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:19 PM

Its a process. You have a lot to remember....Just take your time.

And when you get my age you forget steps ....you know. :D

Word of advice

Put a label on fan .."Don't reverse fan when blades are turning" 

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#9 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:54 PM

Problems always seem to happen when you break the routine. Leveling after setting up for example. My best advice is to develop a routine and stick with it. When you do have to deviate, and you'll have to sometimes, walk around the rig and check top and bottom for consequences. Like most folks, I don't follow my own advice so it didn't stop me from driving off with the front down and back up last week. Nice looking wedge shape. Didn't get too far as we stopped on the way out of the campground to get water. Head slap.

Alan

#10 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:58 PM

First item on my list is "check the list".
But until I check the list I am likely to miss it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users