21 replies to this topic

#11 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:36 PM

The Lady and I have a routine, chores we each do. But, we also know each others jobs. We talk to each other to double check. Two heads are better than one.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#12 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:44 PM

Its a process. You have a lot to remember....Just take your time.

And when you get my age you forget steps ....you know. :D

Word of advice

Put a label on fan .."Don't reverse fan when blades are turning" 

Also on fan remember to close vent.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#13 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:07 PM

...Like most folks, I don't follow my own advice so it didn't stop me from driving off with the front down and back up last week. ...

Funny you should mention this. We were happily on our way to an adventure last weekend, on the freeway out of town, when a biker came up along side making this funny motion with his arm- kind of like a "heil hitler" salute. I thought he was some kind of wacko until I realized I had forgotten to lock the top down after packing up. Yep, the front was up and the back was down- no latches were hooked. Luckily no harm done. Latched 'em down and off we went. I imagine I will remember to check the latches now- at least for a while until I get side-tracked again. :wacko:

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#14 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

oh gawd ... this is the story of my life. I treat my unit like the helicopter pilots treat their air craft. Walk around lots touching every thing to make sure it is secure. Pull my self up on the rear bumper to make sure the vents are down. Check, double check, check again. I touch everything - call me crazy. Easy to forget something , or leave something on , or leave something behind. I find if I slow down a little bit when packing up things get done right.

#15 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:55 PM

Latching the top down is one thing I've never forgotten.

After I drop the top I immediately exit the door and step out onto the bumper, reach up and latch the rear latches, like it's all part of the same top-dropping operation.  Then it's just a continuation of the operation to walk around and latch the other four.

I have made the mistake of moving the camper (like, to improve the level) after deploying the gray-water container and without removing it -- and I drove over it; crushed the hose-container connector.

And I always fear I'll back up over my irreplaceable steps -- but I haven't yet.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#16 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:44 PM

And I always fear I'll back up over my irreplaceable steps -- but I haven't yet.

Aargh! Why did you even mention that possibility?  :o

Alan

#17 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:54 PM

Aargh! Why did you even mention that possibility?  :o

Alan

I always face my fears.  B)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#18 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:29 AM

Thought the linked step thread might be the one that I posted in it a pic of the one that I built, but it isn't.

A step that's connected to the truck -- hitch-mounted -- or the camper would be OK, too, and might be better than my current step because it doesn't depend on the ground.
But it would only be OK --for me -- if it didn't hang down at all while driving.  I don't want to have to think about, worry about, dragging something when driving over rocky/bumpy ground.

This reminded me of an oops that I did. This is the step:

i-j2Df9hC-M.jpg

We normally travel with it put back in the hitch upside down. The one time that I forgot to flip it was near Ophir, NV. Coming back down that canyon the road crossed the crick and the berm on the far side was a pretty good bump. Yep, I plowed a trough in it. Felt the step hit ground and was puzzled for a bit because I KNEW there wasn't a rock for the rear diff to drag on, but something had dragged.

I'll second getting a routine going and sticking to it. Without some semblance of one I'd have stuff, broken or not, scattered over 5 western states.....

Edited by ntsqd, 12 September 2014 - 02:30 AM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#19 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:48 AM

Latching the top down is one thing I've never forgotten.

I hadn't ever forgotten it either. ;)

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#20 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:44 AM

I pre-flight my camper like I do an airplane when the top goes up or down and before the truck moves. It's done the same way every time. If I'm interrupted, it starts over. Not infallible but greatly reduces the risk of missing something. Naval Air teaches good habits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users