• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bigbluemountain

bigbluemountain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:31 AM

Hello...we're newly registered users, but have enjoyed reading your posts for quite a while.

We are finally getting our All-Terrain camper in October, and wonder what you folks recommend

for stairs (for getting from the ground into the camper).

I see there are a few collapsable versions with a railing, which I prefer, and would love to know your thoughts on the best style/brands, etc.

Thanks, everyone!

#2 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:52 PM

I don't like to carry anything I don't have to so I have a hitch step. I also own some accordion stairs but they just take up too much space.

I see a lot of people with plastic stairs that are light enough to throw on top of stuff if necessary. I've never seen any stairs with a hand rail but haven't looked.

#3 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:13 PM

Welcome to the forum, bigbluemountain, and congrats on ordering your ATC!

There are some threads on steps if you search around on the forum. I guess what steps you will like will depend on your particular needs. I have collapsible aluminum scissor steps and like them, because my dog can use them. Don't think she could handle a hitch-mounted step or some plastic folding steps. There is a grab handle on the camper that is enough security for me when using steps without a rail. 

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#4 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:47 PM

After seeing a post here, I recently changed to the Xtend & Climb Stable Step WT3.  One of the best things I've purchased for the camper.

http://www.xtendandclimb.com/wt-3.html

#5 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

I like my hitch mounted steps. They are the first thing out of the camper and the last thing in. I store them against the read side dinette seat with a bungie cord. 

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:37 PM

I may have to start carrying my step again at least until I can teach the dog to jump up. He hops up on the picnic table, I don't know why he doesn't think he can't jump into the camper.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:19 PM

After seeing a post here, I recently changed to the Xtendon & Climb Stable Step WT3. One of the best things I've purchased for the camper.

http://www.xtendandclimb.com/wt-3.html

Our camper came with a similar set of stairs. The dogs like it and do do we. I figured out a way to mount the stairs to the back of our Hawk. They are also essential when we load kayaks.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#8 shoestring

shoestring

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:44 PM

Our camper came with a similar set of stairs. The dogs like it and do do we. I figured out a way to mount the stairs to the back of our Hawk. They are also essential when we load kayaks.

Any pics of the mount set-up?

Also, does the handle fold down on the WT3?

#9 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:37 AM

Any pics of the mount set-up?

Also, does the handle fold down on the WT3?

I've written about it here (scroll down)

I should document the setup with photos.  The ladder sits on top of the factory rear steps.  I fabbed a piece of 1/4" aluminum which slips through the step, locking the ladder into place.  A strap secures the top to the upper step.  I've placed heavy felt at the few points of contact and have a few scuffs from this mount.  But then, my camper has a few scuffs in a variety of places from good use.  :P

Our handle  / railing folds down and we rarely use it.  I could use it when we load kayaks, but the treads are very wide and I feel okay without the front guard rail when loading boats.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users