• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

Would anyone mind helping me out with a measurement? Specifically a 2005+ 4x4 Tacoma and four wheel camper would be great, but ATC should provide a similar number. If any suspension/tire mods, please include them.

I'm assuming that, with a 2" lift and fleet camper, overall height should come in around 7.5' or so, but for piece of mind I would love some verification. I'm buying a house with 8' garage doors and an HOA that will not allow an "rv" to be left outside.

Thanks in advance!

#2 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:53 PM

They're actually going to consider your truck with camper in the back an RV?  A pop-up is essentially the same as pickup truck and a topper.  A hardside I could see.

#3 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:05 PM

I don't know, I don't actually have the ccr's yet so I don't know how it's worded. I believe I could get away with it (unless someone threw a big stink) but honestly I really prefer it stored in the garage anyway. I work out of state a minimum of 16 days a month and it's no fun to come home to moss growing on your vehicle in the winter months! ;) I'm outside of Portland Oregon so we can go months without seeing the sun...

#4 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:54 PM

My stock height 2013 Tacoma 4WD access cab with LT265/75 R16 tires and a rear spring upgrade (4 leaf springs to carry 1500 pounds) and 1000 pound empty Eagle camper shell  is 7 feet 2 inches high to the top of the fantastic fan vent.

My neighbor raised his garage door header to fit his Kestral (Hawk) and it cost $2 grand.

My two cents is wait until you get it to make sure of your dimensions before spending any money.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#5 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:10 PM

If you based your estimated height on the existing bed height of your truck and the FWC stated height of the camper, I think you will be fine.  Here's why I say that.

I have 8' rollup doors on my detached metal garage.  The actual clearance is 95" under the header.

I measured my F350 at the rear of the bed to the header, and I had 58".  The FWC site says the Grandby is 59" from the bottom to the top of the vents.  I wanted to fit into my garage.  With the camper on the truck!

So I did some calculations and measurements and figured my truck would drop 2" at the rear of the bed with the camper loaded.  I ordered it, waited the 10 weeks and picked it up.  When I arrived home I set up my step ladder and checked the clearance many times as I inched the truck into the garage.  It cleared the vent cover by 1".

Once I loaded my two batteries it dropped another 5/8", so as long as I remove the Yakima racks first, I have no clearance issues getting into the garage.  If I am exact about where I stop the truck (within 6" or so) I can pop the camper inside the garage for cleaning and airing it out.

It is sweet when a plan comes together.  Good luck with your plans.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#6 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:21 PM

Our setup (see signature and blog for details) measures 7 feet to the top of the fans / Yakima racks. It won't fit in our garage with 7 foot doors but the opening is less than 7 feet high. Should be fine with 8 foot doors. Waiting to measure your actual rig before spending money to modify a garage is good advice.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#7 brianjwilson

brianjwilson

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:54 PM

Awesome, thanks for the replies everyone.  When I looked at the house last it measured about 95-96" opening height.  8' doors and a 3 car garage was a requirement while house shopping this time.  This garage is actually a tandem (2 deep) on one side so length isnt an issue.  Nothing is happening for a while after the deal closes but I just wanted to confirm what I've been estimating.  I found a new Tacoma in our work parking lot with a 2" lift and it can't be more than 6' tall by itself.  If I could leave racks on the camper, even better!

More than likely the truck will be on coilovers with an OME leaf pack (w/ extra overloads), so I can play with ride hieght as desired.

#8 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:24 PM

My 1 ton silverado and Hawk just fit into my garage. I love that.

I only have about 2 inches of clearance, but it works.

It is so nice to park in the garage and out of element when I'm not using it.

I highly recommend that if you can swing it.

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#9 Oryguntroutbum

Oryguntroutbum

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:46 PM

I'm sure most would probably figure this out or already know it but most garage door openers are installed with the stopper set a few inches from the actual limit. This causes the bottom of the door to hang down into the door opening. By loosening the set screw on the track and moving the stopper back towards the motor unit you can gain an extra couple inches in height. Not that it works for me because I'm about 2 feet from being able to fit in my garage...[emoji53]
2014 Dodge 2500 4x4, Cummins TD2021 FWC Hawk<p>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users