• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:27 AM

Nice job Bob. I still love mine, so nice to know you can use the sink anytime.

Bill

#22 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:50 AM

We cut the hose under the sink long enough to fit into a square 2.5 gallon blue Reliance water tank (Amazon) which is always in the cabinet below the sink and never have gray water outside.  Each morning we pour the gray water as the posted rules direct before moving, dish sinks frequently at NP.  The tank can handle two days when we stay at our site instead of driving.  Our camper must smell like food since we cook in it but no bears have approached (we keep the camper windows closed with the curtains closed unless we are at the site).  We also carry the largest bear spray canister we can find.  Bear arguments:  More people are killed/injured by black bears in the US than grizzlies;  More people are killed/injured by grizzlies in Canada than black bears;  The latest posts say black bears lose their fear of people and eventually think of people as food;  Many grizzlies in Canada have never seen people, have no fear and so a tent is a "meal-ready-to-eat" (just open); Feeding a black bear causes most US deaths; Sleeping in a tent causes the most Canadian deaths by grizzlies.  We have camped around lots of bears and keep a very clean site and none have approached.  

#23 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationPacific North West

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:26 PM

IowaHiker,.. Having spent much time photographing, observing and fishing with wild Canadian and AK Grizzlies, I respectfully disagree with you wild bear comments. I believe wild bears are less dangerous because they are not familiar with humans and therefore avoid us. There are exceptions, the primary one is when we put them in a corner or get between them and food or Cubs. Park bears have a tendency to be familiar with people and identify with possible food source. The other fact is that more people are injured by Moose than bears. So few people are injured by either that on a per capita basis the discussion is without merit. There are other much greater urban risks that we manage every day. I suggest that everyone just enjoy the outdoors, give them a healthy respect but don't not enjoy yourselves, tent campers included. A tent is by no means viewed as a free meal by a bear. There are numerous good books about managing wildlife risk when camping.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by Kispiox, 24 October 2014 - 12:05 AM.

#24 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:00 PM

IowaHiker,.. Having spent much time photographing, observing and fishing with wild Canadian and AK Grizzlies, I respectfully disagree with you wild bear comments. I believe wild bears are less dangerous because they are not familiar with humans and therefore avoid us. There are exceptions, the primary one is when we put them in a corner or get between them and food or Cubs. Park bears have a tendency to be familiar with people and identify with possible food source. The other fact is that more people are injured by Moose than bears. So few people are injured by either that on a per capita basis the discussion is without merit. There are other much greater urban risks that we manage every day. I suggest that everyone just enjoy the outdoors, give them a healthy respect but don't not enjoy yourselves, tent campers included. A tent is by no means viewed as a free meal by a bear. There are numerous good books about managing wildlife risk when camping.

I agree,that is pretty sound advise.

Also more people are injured by Bison than most other animals.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#25 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:38 PM

At the start of this thread I asked if anyone has ever had a problem with sink containment attracting bears. I use mine in bear country campgrounds and drain to the ground when off the grid. I have never attracted a bear print/from sniff, let alone a bear. Anyone else? I'm just curious....

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by Kispiox, 24 October 2014 - 12:11 AM.

#26 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,345 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:33 PM

I've been in campgrounds where I have dealt with bears attempting to get into garbage dumpsters (humans couldn't take the time to properly close them). In those incidents I did not have a problem with our gray water container attracting bears nor at any other time.

Kispiox, your comments on bears echo what we teach in outdoor skills classes.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#27 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:45 AM

I did list my points as "arguments" and not facts because not everyone would agree.  I do not see much disagreement other than Canadian Grizzlies and I did research Grizzly attack histories because we hike in Grizzly area's.  We came close.  We were scheduled to camp northeast of Yellowstone NP at the same campground one person was killed and two injured in tents that very night.  We switched campgrounds at the last minute, thankfully, since we were camping in tents.  The in-laws were calling us to see if we were ok.  Food odors and being around people were excluded as causes of this attack.

#28 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:32 AM

I did list my points as "arguments" and not facts because not everyone would agree.  I do not see much disagreement other than Canadian Grizzlies and I did research Grizzly attack histories because we hike in Grizzly area's.  We came close.  We were scheduled to camp northeast of Yellowstone NP at the same campground one person was killed and two injured in tents that very night.  We switched campgrounds at the last minute, thankfully, since we were camping in tents.  The in-laws were calling us to see if we were ok.  Food odors and being around people were excluded as causes of this attack.

I don't mean to cut or puff. My concern is that folks not attach an inordinate amount of fear with camping in bear country. I have spent hundreds of hours viewing Grizzlies and black bears. Like us, each has a distinct personality and capability. For instance one might be an excellent fisherman while another can't catch a fish to save his soul. This is why there will always be exceptions contrary to the statistics. There are mean bears just like there are mean people but we learn how to manage the same human threat. Fortunately they are few. They are wild dangerous animals so you respect and treat them accordingly. That done, the chances of a problem statistically speaking is non-existent. My only concern is that folks put it in perspective and enjoy the outdoors.

Hea, I grew up in Iowa through high school in marshalltown and then moved away. I am now 61 so it has been a long time since I have been there. I miss the Pheasant hunting.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#29 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:43 AM

The Lake Louise camp ground in Banff National park does not allow tents or soft sided campers.

I did have a camp ground attendant once tell me that my Phoenix pop-up was not allowed but I told him that he was mistaken and that my soft TOP started 7 feet above the ground meaning difficult access for a bear. He backed off.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users