Photo
- - - - -

Highest Drivable Elevations in California?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 April 2016 - 11:16 AM

I don't have anything substantial to add other than to say this is a great topic!
I hope to make it out to CA and check these roads out one day...

Maybe we can do a similar thread on each of the major western states as well??😉

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#22 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:26 PM

Occurs to me that one could "bag" both the high and the low if you did it on the right day. Start in DV at Badwater and drive to Barcroft Station on one of their open house days. Might be kind of fun to do that some day, just because. Then you'd get about 12,670' of total elevation change....

Thom

Where does that road go?

#23 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:39 PM

Occurs to me that one could "bag" both the high and the low if you did it on the right day. Start in DV at Badwater and drive to Barcroft Station on one of their open house days. Might be kind of fun to do that some day, just because. Then you'd get about 12,670' of total elevation change....

That's gonna be a long day. Definitely doable but long.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#24 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:29 PM

One December I hiked down from the summit of Mount Whitney to my pickup at the Portal and then drove to Badwater, where I slept in the parking lot.  Of course, this was cheating, because I gotten to the summit of Whitney without a car.  But at least I can say I have been at the highest and lowest spots in continental US in the same day. 

The 14k roads to the top of Pike's and Evans are both paved, but quite narrow near the summit of Evans.  On Evans once, while descending in my my F150 and ATC, I had to nudge auto drivers out of my inside lane and over to the cliff-top lane.   They all had funny expressions on their faces!

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#25 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:43 PM

That's gonna be a long day. Definitely doable but long.

The ever correct, eternally vigilant google maps says 4 hrs 10 mins to 5 hrs. 40 mins depending on the route chosen. It must be true, I read it on the internet.....

;)

Thom

Where does that road go?

#26 Jeep_Engineer_Beer_Snob

Jeep_Engineer_Beer_Snob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:49 PM

Thanks man.

I work at Chrysler and do transmission calibration on the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango.  I'm looking to put together a test trip that includes some new routes, especially off-road.  We usually go to Colorado and do Pikes Peak, Mt. Evans, Loveland Pass, etc.

#27 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:16 PM

So do you have a spare turbo encabulator?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#28 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:57 PM

Craig, You mean one of these??

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#29 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:47 AM

Yes, yes I do. I'm trying to figure how to integrate one with a flux capacitor.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#30 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:29 PM

Three of us did this last Sunday. Different type of trip for all of us, hard to keep moving but with unknown roads and a 7:30pm deadline to make it thru the Barcroft gate we had to. Used as much dirt roads as was reasonable without venturing into Saline Valley.  Badwater was only 97° at 9:45 am. Turns out that even though you can see Badwater from Mahogany Flat Cmpgrd, it's still roughly a 2 hr drive to get there. Barcroft Station at just short of 5pm was about 40° with the wind chill factored in. No idea what the overnight low was up there, but at 6:45am Monday it was 24° Turned out to be 12, 674' elevation delta; and a 73° temperature delta.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users