Locking your camper off truck to prevent theft

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wetcoast

wetcoast

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:35 PM

What are the best solutions you have used to prevent your camper from being stolen while it is off your truck, parked in your driveway?

I am thinking a very long lock through the sawhorses and the roof rack?

#2 Cort

Cort

Captain Moderation

• Members
  • 422 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata, CA/Northern CA

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:14 AM

I used to lock mine through the front tie down access panels.  provided ventilation and worked great.

Cort

#3 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:11 AM

I'd think locking the jack stands so the camper cannot be easily raised or lowered.  The problem of course is the drilling holes through the legs and maybe finding a lock that would fit around them and assuming you leave the jacks on.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#4 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 07 October 2014 - 03:33 AM

Dig holes in driveway under the turnbuckle mounts.
Embed eyebolts in concrete in the holes.
Use chain and padlocks to lock the camper in place.

Removing jacks after locking camper down couldn't hurt.

Or extend your garage into the driveway.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#5 wetcoast

wetcoast

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:13 PM

Thanks! 

Cort, unfortunately I do not have access panels on my mini Finch. It just bolts to the bed. Maybe I could bolt it to the sawhorse? That could be a deterrent. 

#6 Freebird

Freebird

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:36 PM

If it is on a concrete driveway, a hole can be drilled with a (rentable) hammer drill to drill into the concrete, and an anchor with a hardened ring can be placed for a chain/padlock to secure the camper. Different sizes of anchors are available.
You would have to figure out where on the TC would be the best/stoutest/most secure place of attachment.

On the issue of theft of truck campers. There is a slight up-side to states that require a truck camper license plate and therefore provides a title for your truck camper. There is a slight bit of comfort (possibly misplaced) in that you hold a title to your camper with the serial number on it. Unfortunately, if it is taken to a more common non-title state (Bill of sale only) it could exist and be used there with no questions raised since no bill of sale is required for a carried TC during a traffic stop (correct me if some states require that, please).

Interesting (?) aside:
I live in WA where both title/registration are issued for TCs and a current vehicle license plate is required to be displayed on the camper.
I was in Texas and pulled into a parking lot. A city police car followed me in, and when I stopped in the lot, he flipped on his lights behind me after I had already come to a complete stop. I have no idea how long he had been behind me, we were looking for a certain eating establishment among a bunch of other businesses to meet up with friends, and my attention had been on finding it.
The officer came up to my window and wanted to know why I was displaying two license plates on the rear of my vehicle, since that was illegal in Texas. I explained that it was required in WA, and both a title and registration was issued for the camper. I showed him both registrations (truck plus camper, fortunately both current) and explained that it was a small revenue stream for the state coffers.
The officer was very nice, but was scratching his head about the new concept of "two plates" displayed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users