Photo
- - - - -

Thinking about a new truck. What to buy?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 MANXMAN

MANXMAN

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:30 PM

^^ I'll pass on the $867 tail light replacements, though.

I agree completely and would pass on it too, but there are those who want all the gadgets and are willing to pay for the Blind Spot Information System option in the first place instead for staying attentive while driving. If it was damaged in an accident then insurance is going to pay for it but if you take a sledgehammer to your truck, well its hard to feel sorry for yourself about how much it will cost to fix it.

You can bet that the box decal and regular tail light aren't going to be priced much different from the ones on the 2014 models.

Edited by MANXMAN, 13 February 2015 - 11:31 PM.

2014 F150 S/C V8 4X4
2014 ATC Manx Flatbed Pop-Up Camper

2017 F350 S/C V8 4X4

2017 ATC Manx Flatbed Pop-Up Camper

#62 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:30 AM

I test drove the new F150 today. I liked the way it handled and thought it was pretty comfortable. With Crew Max and best towing payload package rated payload is over 2600 lbs. That is good enough for me. Based on the stuff I am looking at I should be around 2000 so I would have plenty of leeway......

Now just need plenty money to go with all that leeway :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#63 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:41 AM

HappyJax what did they quote you for the F150 Crew Max?  4x4?

#64 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 February 2015 - 03:04 AM

It was a XLT and the price was around $46k. I forget all of the options but it was a 4x4 with 18inch E rated tires. I was not ready to buy so I just got some basic price ideas and decided to do a build online to see what the options I wanted would cost. I am still going to test drive a Ram and a Tundra because I have not settled on which shell/camper I want so I am open to a smaller vehicle though leaning towards the Ford. I would not consider a Tacoma sized truck because I know it would not have enough payload no matter how stingy I was.....

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#65 Dusty Roads

Dusty Roads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMinnesnowta

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:22 PM

I like my 2011 Ram 2500 CTD. I don't do much in the way of off roading, other than some (at times) gnarly 2 tracks on hunting trips.

99%+ of my miles are on pavement. That said, there is a large comfort factor in knowing that I can take pretty much what I want, and not worry about being overweight. I also like the CTD, for its proven longevity.

YMMV

2011 Dodge - Cummins

Ancient FWC Grandby, coming back to life!

#66 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:30 PM

Bill,

When I was looking for a '05-'06 Tundra 4WD Access cab before buying the 2013 Tacoma (couldn't find one in 12 months of looking all over the west). Actually I found one with 120,000 miles on it- asking price $19,500.

I found a ton of '06 Tundra 4 doors 4WD. They were a larger platform than the Access cabs and would fit your Hawk though you would probably need to put a spacer between the floor and camper. Maybe you could find a low milege one. Just a thought.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#67 Fallbrook

Fallbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:35 PM

Save up and get that Tacoma, they're just that superior to the domestic trucks, unfortunately. I've got a '14 Fleet on a 2005 dclb Tacoma. The only thing you'll need is the Firestone air bags, and you'll have your dream rig (try not to listen to the guys always poo pooing about gvw. You're going to be overweight, and the truck handles it perfectly). I've never had so much fun in my life, it's got more power than you'll need, great performance and handling, and okay (at best) gas mileage. Best of luck! Please.

#68 snuffy

snuffy

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKernville Ca.

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:39 PM

just what makes a tacoma superior to a domestic truck?  just asking..

#69 Fallbrook

Fallbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:08 PM

Obviously, that could go back and forth, and has, for millions of words. I've had Rangers, Colorados, and currently have four Tacomas, two for work, two for play.I followed all the recommended maintenence for the domestics, and just kept POURING money into them, all under 100k. I've done the Tacoma route now for eight years and come to this maintenance schedule...change the oil every 10-12k (yep, you read that correctly), don't beat em up but use them, and my cumulative maintenence on four trucks is less than it was one ONE domestic with the same use. Highest mileage Tacoma right now is a 99 that's approaching 430k, lowest is the 05 with 135k. They are simply unreal.

#70 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:17 PM

I agree. My daily driver is an 88 xtra cab. My Tundra has my Hawk on it and I love it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users