13 replies to this topic

#1 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:03 PM

Guys-I've been hacked(by the ruskies, chinese, nigerians-everyone it seems-got almost $1300 from one credit card-got most back)) real bad last month (that's why i was off line for a while)and they (miro soft techs)had to "clean out" everything on my lt/dt, and add new security program/codes(my old system was not keeping up with all the attacks) and the whole works (all programs),  and i had to start over-new passwords, credit cards everything and i have had to re identify myself to all my old internet sites. so how do i get spell check back on on WTW-i know it's easy to do, but i don't remember how to activate it- i'm in Mozilla now, so. maybe the problem is there.. 

You never want to go thru being hacked-they even got in to my system again, while it was being worked when ms took a break, and i guess i hit something and was hacked again and they had to start all over again-no fun at all, got most of my money back, but the cost in time and self confidence was damaging. One lesson learned-don't add nothing unless you know where it comes from.  I'm very careful these days on what i do on this thing!

Thanks

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:14 PM

If you haven't already done so, create a new account on your PC. Make it a regular account without administrator privileges, and log into that account for everything except installing software & other administration tasks.

When some place you visit or some email wants to install software, you will be prompted for your administrator password. If you didn't intend to install the software, don't enter your password.

Many bad things won't be able to bite you then. It can be a little annoying to have to enter a password to incessantly update Adobe software but my wife no longer installs spyware etc. without my knowledge. :)

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:29 PM

I work at a security company now and we read a lot about this stuff. One important thing: be sure you absolutely know who that the "microsoft techs" are from Microsoft. One of the current scams is to "infect" your computer with something that says you need to call support at xxx.xxx.xxxx number but the support are actually the scammers.

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:06 AM

Good one DD. Those guys tried to scam my dad. Lucky he got suspicious and called me. The one thats bothering me lately is one telling me I need to update my media player. Almost looks legit. I'm afraid I'll click on it one time when I'm tired and not thinking.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:38 AM

I think i sort of fell for the first one, my old pc hardlly worked, so i bought a new one and even though i started all over with it,it stated acting up and telling me i needed to down load thier stuff and yep they got me again. I keep seeing that one too Craig, but as i was told don't add/down load anything you don't know. Being pc challenged sure cost me some  bucks and lot's of time,computer  life is sure a learning experience especially when you are and old fart.

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 03 December 2014 - 05:39 AM.

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:46 AM

I tried to find the info on spell check and failed. At least you try. You should see some the computers (friends and family) that I've worked on. You know you're in trouble when you see the AV hasn't been updated in three years.

#7 Buckwheat

Buckwheat

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA.

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:39 AM

Mi spel chek has never worked on this cite butt werks fine on other forums. Sorry you got hacked

#8 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:41 PM

Craig have you tried different browsers? 

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:15 PM

Bill it works for me. Was trying to find out how to make it work for Smoke.

#10 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:12 PM

guys-much to my surprise it seems to work now when i put it on edit-sort of like happened to other people! But thanks anyway.

Smoke

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users