#141 Frosty_1

Frosty_1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:10 PM

Bombsight,

I think most of us on here wouldn't have a shore power option to power the AC, thus don't need/want one...

Please do your homework on Phoenix before you go that route, some good threads on EXPO...

f.

#142 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:22 PM

The front dinette floor plan needs an AC option in the Hawk model !!!!!

... for that matter, an AC option should be available on ANY model. 

Consequently, I think some are going with other name brands like Phoenix because of the custom design offerings they provide.

A shower and AC isnt too much to ask is it?

I would suggest you read through this entire thread if you're considering a Phoenix camper.  Not saying they don't make a good product but it's always good to be armed when negotiating custom work.

http://www.expeditio...x-Pop-Up-Camper

Edited by JHa6av8r, 06 May 2015 - 10:22 PM.

#143 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:19 PM

I've often thought about this idea too, but AFIAK nobody has done it. I suspect there could be structural issues in the roof frame that might prohibit this. I've never gone so far to compare the measurements of the hatch with the roof spars. If it were possible I also suspect there would be too much work ( andcost) involved for me personally. But man, wouldn't it be cool to lie in bed and star gaze??!!

The lift panel handle is offset. Here is a picture of the skylight on Tom's camper.

9D6CAFAB-A5D2-438A-926D-EF4DD1D36B34_zps

Edited by super doody, 06 May 2015 - 11:19 PM.

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#144 super doody

super doody

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSan Mateo Coast

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:22 PM

I would suggest you read through this entire thread if you're considering a Phoenix camper.  Not saying they don't make a good product but it's always good to be armed when negotiating custom work.

http://www.expeditio...x-Pop-Up-Camper

Only option offered with Phoenix I would want is under the bed storage. It would eliminate shuffling dufle bags of clothes back and forth

Edited by super doody, 06 May 2015 - 11:36 PM.

2003 Tacoma 4X4 - 2007 FWC Eagle shell

2006 Tundra Double Cab - 2015 Hawk - side dinette, silver spur interior

#145 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:56 PM

Only option offered with Phoenix I would want is under the bed storage. It would eliminate shuffling dufle bags of clothes back and forth

I would also add the non pull out queen size bed that is on the flatbed FWCs. 

#146 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:42 AM

Bombsight,

I think most of us on here wouldn't have a shore power option to power the AC, thus don't need/want one...

Please do your homework on Phoenix before you go that route, some good threads on EXPO...

f.

I would think most on here would have a Generator? Guess not.

I dont want to but I'd give up the shower in a heart beat for AC. It just confuses me how FWC can offer 3 different floor plans but cant impliment an AC in all of them :huh: .

A slight change in cabinetry is all it would take .... it seems.

Oh well, necessity is the mother of invention.. 

#147 JJ1

JJ1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:16 AM

Bombsight - this forum is heavily weighted toward people in the west, which IMO helps explain why so many can go without A/C.  Most of the great pics are at the desert, high altitude, or the beach...all generally cooler at night than a Southeastern summer.  I see you're in Texas, where A/C is probably more necessary for more of the year than for most of the other users here.  I bet most WTW posters probably don't carry generators as standard kit (although many do).

I'm in the Southeast as well, and an A/C is a requirement for me...even if I have to add an aftermarket one, and even if I have to carry a generator (which I already bought in preparation).

2014 Ram 2500 CCSB 5.7 Hemi 4x4 - Looking for a Silver Spur Hawk/Fleet/Eagle!

#148 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:47 AM

I'd love an AC unit but at the price FWC was charging for them I had to decline. I'd also love a little Honda generator but again, at nearly $7-800 that's some good travel money. I'm just gonna stick with the fan/vent combo, take a cold shower before bed and sweat out he rest...

Edited by 100acrehuphalump, 07 May 2015 - 01:48 AM.

2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#149 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:49 AM

I would think most on here would have a Generator? Guess not.

I dont want to but I'd give up the shower in a heart beat for AC. It just confuses me how FWC can offer 3 different floor plans but cant impliment an AC in all of them :huh: .

A slight change in cabinetry is all it would take .... it seems.

Oh well, necessity is the mother of invention.. 

The cabinet set-up has a lot to do with whether the camper can have a AC unit.  For me my Grandby and front dinette would not allow.  I just wqent out and bought a small portable AC that ducts out the turn buckle door.  Works great, There is a picture on my blog.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#150 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 07 May 2015 - 03:15 AM

The cabinet set-up has a lot to do with whether the camper can have a AC unit.  For me my Grandby and front dinette would not allow.  I just wqent out and bought a small portable AC that ducts out the turn buckle door.  Works great, There is a picture on my blog.

Can you tell us more about your AC unit?
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC, four wheel campers, options

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users