Photo

Do you travel with mechanical jacks on or off?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#11 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:43 PM

Off for weight, using the brackets for other things in camp and off road use of the truck.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#12 Fyreman

Fyreman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, Ca

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:32 AM

Off

#13 jcfly

jcfly

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:36 AM

Off all the time. The weight savings and damage potential are too much to ignore.

Jim 2009 Chevy 2500 HD / 2004 FWC Hawk

#14 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:29 AM

On at home, off when off...thanks everyone!
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#15 MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs & York, UK

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:23 AM

Take then off,

Positives:

1. Saves about 100 lbs when off

2. If someone bumps them in a parking lot, the leverage they have can rip out the corner of the camper. When I had my Hawk installed, I was advised to leave them in the place where I would store the camper as it usually exceeds $2000 to repair a mangled corner.

3. Provides attachment points for attaching a telescoping antenna mast

4. Provides attachment points front and back to hang an ABS plastic tube with fishing rods, poles for erecting tarps, antennas, and other lengthy objects I may want.

5. Makes it even harder for someone to transfer the camper to their truck. (Unlikely,, but I wanted 5 reasons. :)

Negatives:

1. Makes it impossible to remove camper from truck and leave it in campground to hold my spot while I explore. ??

2.  Less likely to confuse camper with the Tardis or the Lunar Lander.

My $.02

Paul

To hold a spot, one can try leaving some stuff (not expensive of course) at the site.  We used to leave our cooler on the picnic table.

#16 cdbrow1

cdbrow1

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:50 PM

Would y'all option in for the aluminum brackets as opposed to the steel ones?

I went for the Aluminum brackets - simple for the rust issue. The weight savings are minimal but also a plus. I plan on spending a lot of time at the coast and on salted roads. 

#17 Dorado_33

Dorado_33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:39 AM

I have often thought about this topic I am about ready to drive from Northern California to Arkansas at the end of February so what I am reading is take them off for the long distant travel. Is there any fuel savings?

#18 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:16 PM

I have often thought about this topic I am about ready to drive from Northern California to Arkansas at the end of February so what I am reading is take them off for the long distant travel. Is there any fuel savings?

I would say any travel.  Picking my camper up at the factory confirmed what I already thought.  The jacks were on when I arrived at the factory to have my camper installed.  During orientation the the service tech taking me through it said I'll give you two pair of jacks in the box if you let my take off the ones that are mounted.  He said he's seen too many people snag something and damage the camper.  Honestly can's see any reason to have them on while traveling.

#19 Dorado_33

Dorado_33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:41 AM

Thanks for the info. will be taking them off for my trip and any other long trips

#20 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:49 AM

Thanks for the info. will be taking them off for my trip and any other long trips

^^What he said^^
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users