• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:44 PM

Does anybody on this forum pull an additional trailer while also hauling a FWC? What do you haul in there, do you think it's good for extra gear and boats or is it just another dirty highway anchor? Some things I might consider is carrying a canoe down below the roof line of my truck to avoid wind drag. Some pans and sluice box for mining. Dirty laundry, Etc. the FWC's apparently aren't known for their storage space, so is hauling and extra trailer worth it in your opinions?
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#2 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationPacific North West

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:32 PM

I have a canvas covered jet boat that I trailer.. Though not for extended off road it affords a great deal of flexibility as I can carry deflated pontoon boats and other gear inside it. I originally purchased Yak Tracks installed topside, thinking I might carry inflatable pontoon boats up there. For me anyhow, that proved to be too much trouble. It was okay where I was using it but added weight when overnighting when I wasn't. Your comment about trailers being a road anchor is on the mark and a valid concern. There is no perfect tool. Net of it is if you are going to an off grid mountain lake the trailer is a issue. Over time having tried Yak Top and also a trailer, I now mostly travel with a small inflatable frameless one bag boat. I have removed most of the back crew cab seat (left jump seat) and limit gear to as much as I can carry there. I only use the jet boat when going to easy highway access able destinations or where it can be staged, then do an off grid circuit and return. There are some good off road trailers with great ground clearance but I decided that would be limiting and a turn around problem for me. After trying it all, I settled in on cab storage and uncluttered FWC. Keep it simple and keep it light. If I don't find myself using something, I don't carry it. Whatever you start with will change with personal experience. Have fun!

#3 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:03 PM

My trailer is on my truck almost full time with the camper. Everywhere I go I am either riding an ATV or Fishing in my inflatable pontoon. I carry my honda 2000I generator with me most of the time. I can run everything in the camper plus a small space heater when I am hunting. Or I can charge boat batteries. The trailer was always on the truck even before I got the camper. I got the camper so I could have a better place to stay. 

Justloaded_zps75adc589.jpg

Elkhunt4_zps7e10a0b9.jpg

#4 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:28 PM

Nice setup!
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#5 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:34 PM

I Have an AT Chaser trailer with a RTT and love it but I'm making the switch to an FWC so I can have a one vehicle solution. I will occasionally tow a motorcycle trailer, but for the most part I'll be happy to not be pulling a trailer and not having to worry about getting out of tight spots or not being able to eat at drive-ins.  :)

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#6 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:18 AM

I haven't had to pass a drive in because of my trailer. 
Some guys like to carry stuff in the truck and haul a camp trailer. I had a camp trailer and it was useless for me. I found that if I was planning to take a camp trailer all of a sudden things get complicated. So I ended up sleeping in my camper shell a lot and never took the trailer anywhere. The reason I go most places with my camper is because I want to use the ATV or the boat.  If I can pull into a spot I can back it out. I don't worry about those kind if things. I worry if the fish are biting.  :D

This trailer is not a road anchor. I have drug this thing all over Idaho on back roads, highways and two tracks.  I am not afraid to take it anywhere. 

Edited by idahoron, 05 January 2015 - 12:21 AM.

#7 Kispiox

Kispiox

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationPacific North West

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:31 AM

Idahoron,.. Nice rig,.. I also have a Stealeader Skookum that I trailer in the Jet. When shutteling Inflated I throw it on top and when deflated, bagged and traveling then inside and under the cover. My one bag frameless is the small Skadden Kevlar. It's under 20lbs, oars and all. It won't handle the white stuff the Steelheader will. That's a great boat. I may run into you on the Clearwater some year.

#8 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:39 AM

I hang out on the snake most of the time. If you're ever in the Southern end let me know I will hook you up on a sturgeon in your pontoon. 

#9 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:37 PM

I've got a 7x12 flatbed trailer we drag occasionally. Like IDRon I've got quads we take on certain outings so extra coolers, fuel, and stuff can go in there.  While we do some wandering, we also have the camper so we have a place to stay while fishing, etc. We drag a boat once in a while as well.  

Here's the trailer I have. 

p741963666-3.jpg

Built some sides that make it more handy...

p325817087-3.jpg

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#10 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:04 PM

This is my trailer:

_LS25536.jpg

The short wheelbase means I can get in and out of spots that you couldn't with a longer wheelbase but makes it a pain to back up. I never could figure out how to pull into a slot at a Sonic with it without blocking traffic, though, and a lot of places don't have a nearby street or vacant lot to park and walk over. I think I'm going to prefer the one vehicle route for now. It's all about how you want to use your setup.

Edited by Stalking Light, 05 January 2015 - 06:06 PM.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users