#1 MMclimbhigh

MMclimbhigh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationHayduke Country

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:50 AM

Howdy Folks~

On a recent trip through the Cascades, we experienced very heavy rain. You know, wipers on high and still can't see the road kind of rain (AKA a "normal" winter's day in Washington). Normally not a problem for our TRD/Fleet combo. However, this time around, we had immense leakage from the front sliding window of the camper! Using towels helped some, but on the 14 hour drive, they couldn't keep up. It seems to be mainly coming from the edge of the sliding windows near the center.

After said event, we are having leakage most every time that we drive through the rain. HELP!!!!! I've talked with FWC and they are aware of the problem and there isn't much for a cure.

Any advice from the WTW crew? It isn't as easy as caulking the perimeter of the window, this is coming from the window itself. Tis quite a problem, considering we use the camper as our slopeside condo all winter! We are very concerned about rotting, molding, etc.

Aside from this though, we absolutely love the camper and couldn't be happier! FWC is highly recommended.

Cheers

Edited by MMclimbhigh, 06 January 2015 - 06:20 AM.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:26 AM

If you don't need the slider, replace it with a solid window. I had this issue on my old hard side, so we went with a non slider on the Grandby.

We never have used the slider in the hard side!

Edited by Wandering Sagebrush, 06 January 2015 - 04:27 AM.

I am haunted by waters

#3 MMclimbhigh

MMclimbhigh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:33 AM

Kilroy:

Thanks for the reply.  I've noticed the upper corners (about a 1/2") of the gasket to be bent over the wrong way, but otherwise the seal is fine.  I've gone ahead and flipped them back to the normal position with a thin, dull blade.  Hopefully this helps! It's a 2014 model by the way........brand spankin' new.

WS:

Nope, don't want to give up the slider.  Our dog would be none too happy with that decision.  It's her main source of ventilation while traveling.  Personally, we don't use it very much, but for the dog, I think it's a necessity.

MM

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:32 AM

Salty, our Drathaar (my icon) rides in the cab with us. He doesn't handle hot weather well, so I totally understand your wanting to keep your pup well ventilated.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:36 AM

I love the GWP and it'll be my next companion.
Sent from my SM-G900P using Wander The West mobile app

They are really great pups! Smart, but a bit bullheaded.

I am haunted by waters

#6 MMclimbhigh

MMclimbhigh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:18 PM

Good news Gents....

I just spoke with the good folks at the FWC service dept. explaining the window issue.  I was enlightened to say the least!  The window has weep holes installed (4) on the bottom rail of the frame.  Their purpose is to expel to the exterior, any water which may accumulate on or around the window.  This is a bit of a catch 22.  When traveling at speed during a heavy rain event, the negative pressure created between the exterior of the camper and the interior of the camper causes the water to enter and travel up through the weep holes!  This is the reason that all or most of the water accumulation is occurring at the bottom of the window frame.  FWC uses high quality windows to alleviate any leak problems associated with cheaper quality and/or construction of budget windows.  There is nothing wrong with my window!  The simple solution to the problem is to cover the small weep holes on the exterior.  This will prevent any water from escaping, but that's a small price to pay for the copious amount of water that can enter during a downpour!

Between this fix and the one mentioned by Kilroy, we should be all taken care of now.  Thanks everyone

By the way.............I've mentioned again and again that I am humbled and impressed with the customer service at FWC.  Mike, Stan, Terry and Tom (to name just a few) are outstanding to work with!  Way to go FWC, thank you for standing behind your amazing product!

Cheers

#7 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:36 AM

This is what the window manufacturer is going to send us.

See sample link here . . .

http://www.pellanden...6388&Return=306

We might try and just order some from an independent company if the window company doesn't step up.

More information to follow as it is available.

Thank you.

:)

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#8 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:46 AM

Here are some basic troubleshooting notes from an RV window manufacturer ...

Things to check for:

Is the window properly closed?

Sliding window latches usually include an interlock so that the sliding pane and the mullion fit together tightly.  If either is bowed away from the other, the parts may by-pass, precluding a tight seal.

Can the water evacuate?  Most sliding windows have a sloped sill (which will channel any water present outbound) and weep or drain holes (to permit the water to flow out.)  These holes are usually baffled or otherwise disguised on the inside to minimize wind noise or “blow-back” in strong winds. Often, dirt or manufacturing debris will accumulate over time, blocking the drain, so that water cannot escape.  To fix this condition: from outside the window, unsnap the weep hole covers, if present, but keep them handy for reuse.  Use a stiff wire to probe into the weep hole, and scrape out anything blocking the sill. When you are sure that the area is clear, reinstall any weep slot covers.

Woodland, CA 95776

#9 Brad's Dad

Brad's Dad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNorthern Wisconsin

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:25 AM

This is what the window manufacturer is going to send us.

See sample link here . . .

http://www.pellanden...6388&Return=306

We might try and just order some from an independent company if the window company doesn't step up.

More information to follow as it is available.

Thank you.

:)

Stan,

Is the same front sliding window in use now which is on my 2004 Hawk?  Mine leaks badly but don't want to get my hopes up for this fix if it isn't even the same window.

Thank you,

Fred

2004 FWC Hawk
2006 Toyota Tundra Doublecab 4X4

#10 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:18 PM

I'm 99% sure we used a different window in 2004.

But I bet it is a very similar design.

If you wanna call here and ask for Terry, he might be able to guide you in the right direction.

Most all of the windows are built the same.

Thanks

Edited by Stan@FourWheel, 07 January 2015 - 10:19 PM.

Woodland, CA 95776

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users