8 replies to this topic

#1 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:10 AM

After reading Herr42's trip report on Gold Bluffs Beach, we decided to go there ourselves. Left after work on Thursday and overnighted at the Willits KOA, $20 for a tent site. Friday morning continued north. Stopped in Knight's Landing to get some fresh Dungeness crab for dinner. It is getting late in the season for crab, but The Fisherman called around and found someone that had some. Thank you Jon for taking the time to do that. We got to Bochie's Crab Shack just in time, they were down to three crabs. It was delicious.

Sightings on the trip, all were heading S/B on Hwy 101: Just north of Laytonville - single cab Ford Ranger with a FWC; Near the rest stop about 10 miles above Laytonville - White Dodge Ram extra cab with newer FWC (CHP was pulling out of the rest stop in a hurry. After you?); North of Garberville - green Chevy extra cab with FWC with legs attached.

Got into camp about 1:30 in the afternoon. Weather was sunny and comfortable. The road into camp (Photo 1) really is not a challenge. A bit damp, steep and potholed, but plenty of two wheel drive vehicles and wide areas to pass. Just beyond camp there are a couple of creek crossings (Photo 2) as you head to fern canyon, but they are shallow. I even saw a newer Cadillac and VW Beetle cross them.

Got a nice sunset (Photo 3) Friday night and almost as nice of a sunrise (Photo 4) the next morning. The sun was shining through a light fog that thickened up and stayed with us the rest of the weekend. This photo also shows the rather nice bathroom and shower building for such a remote location. Showers are solar heated so were warm Friday but not during the foggy days.

More to follow.

Attached Thumbnails

• Davison Rd.jpg
  • Creek crossing.jpg
  • Sunset.jpg
  • Sunrise.jpg

#2 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:35 AM

Saturday we hiked Fern Canyon (Photo 1). Very cool place. The park service puts bridges up during the peak season but you have to cross on fallen trees or wade this time of year. This is where 90% of the road traffic goes. Though it came close, the campground never filled up on the holiday weekend.

There are also three hike/bike in campsites just up the cliff from the main campground. They are right on the bluff in amazingly heavy forest. Neat sites, but their bathroom was not as nice, though it had more character (Photo 2). The main campground sites were decently spread out, some with log walls for windbreaks. There was hardly any wind while we were there. Some people were surf fishing in camp and down the beach a ways and said they were doing well. I found some plants making a home in one of the campground posts (Photo 3) to be interesting.

Met a couple from north of Tahoe with their new-to-them FWC Kestrel. We chatted for a while, and I gave him one of the WTW cards I made. Got a nice photo of their rig (Photo 4). Oh yeah, there is also some of the local wildlife in that photo. There were five of these elk hanging around, all bulls. They seemed uninterested in the people, just wanted to eat grass. Couldn't get them to stop grazing long enough to look up for a photo. Tried whistling and calling, to no avail. Finally my wife said "Elk Burger" and that got a response.:D

All in all, a great place worth a return trip. Eight hours each way from our home will make us wait for the time to stay longer, but highly recommended to anyone going that way.

Cheers, Ted

Attached Thumbnails

• Fern Canyon.jpg
  • Outhouse.jpg
  • Plant in post.jpg
  • Elk and FWC.jpg

#3 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:38 AM

Ted, glad you made it to Botchies in time, I was kinda of afraid you would'nt, great pictures. Living up here you take the place for granted, always like to see what interests people about this place. By the way, a couple of years ago I, for some reason ticked off one of those bull elk, when they feel like it they can move real fast, scared the s%&t out of me.I was at the Smith River over last weekend steelhead fishing, got some good shots on our drift will post. Next time your up this way spend a night in Whitethorn. EAT MORE FISH

#4 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:10 AM

Nice report Ted. Beautiful shots!

I would have sworn that shot with the Elk was photo shopped... What a beast
Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

#5 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:36 PM

No photoshop, Tomas. That is why the woman in the photo is standing behind her camper. Fisherman, you are right about not wanting to upset these guys.
Here is another shot of him in camp.

Attached Thumbnails

• elk.JPG

#6 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:09 PM

Great report, thanks for sharing. I'll keep an eye out for the Kestrel around here and give them a wave.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#7 simimike

simimike

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • LocationSimi Valley Ca.

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:27 PM

Nice pics and a great write up. That place is on my list of must see. Thanks for the report.

Cheers,

Mike

#8 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:29 PM

Nice write up Ted. You have to love the North Coast.

Marc

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#9 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:14 PM

Stellar sunset shot Ted. The elk too.

I would be hard pressed, if I lived in the area, not to head up there every chance I got. There's just something about sleeping in your FWC and waking up to the sound of nearby waves.... :rolleyes:

Good stuff!

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users