138 replies to this topic

#81 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:48 AM

As of Lunch time yesterday I'm now a Proud east of the Big Muddy owner of a slightly used 2012 eagle shell! Hope to see you folks this summer at the rally.

Welcome and enjoy your new camper.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#82 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 14 March 2015 - 01:59 PM

LUKE, I AM NOT YOUR FATHER. COME OVER TO THE EAST SIDE. Now the near anxiety sets in...in two days I will have my Archaeopteryx, I mean Hawk.
Tweaking a little...I have to drive into two big cities on this trip Philadelphia and Washington DC. Scary for a country boy like me!
Ooooooooo aaaaaaaaaa eeeeeerrrrrkkkkkk ggggeeeekkkkk

Edited by 100acrehuphalump, 14 March 2015 - 02:00 PM.

2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#83 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 March 2015 - 04:59 PM

wander eastside2ps3
Hope I did this right....

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#84 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:31 PM

Me at my Hawk are east of the Missippisi now. Headed for John Tanner SP Georgia.

#85 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:58 PM

Hope I did this right....

Thanks I needed a great laugh!
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#86 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:59 PM

Me at my Hawk are east of the Missippisi now. Headed for John Tanner SP Georgia.

How's the Jell-o, I mean humidity?
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#87 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 23 March 2015 - 07:44 PM

Hey All,

I'm hoping someone can do a little Recon in Shenandoah NP to see if there is a suitable place for an eastern rally.

The following youtube videos are good examples of the rally seen for those who have never been to a rally.

Here is a link to Shenandoah National Park map.

http://www.nps.gov/s.../whole_park.pdf

Big Meadows Campground, in the middle of the park, claims to have group sites but I can’t find them on the campground map.

The following campgrounds have group sites which are worth checking out. It might work out well to reserve individual sites and one groupsite for a central hangout area

http://www.nps.gov/s...mp_combined.pdf

http://www.nps.gov/s...mp_combined.pdf

There is also a private group site called Dundo Group Campsite just south of Loft mountain which I believe has been converted into a picnic ground only.  I’ll call the park and find out if that’s a possibility.

If anyone knows of or is driving through the park please pass along any info.

Dan maybe you can do a bit of scouting on your way home with your new camper in March ?

I may have an opportunity in April. The sooner we nail this down the more likely reservations will be available.

Keep Hope Alive

Thanks All

DanT in that area George Washington National Forest might be a better location. At least as long as folks don't mind getting the tires dirty and risking a pinstripe or 2 on their trucks. GW is the other side of the valley. One can do a whole day in low range and the scenery is awesome. Mostly rough narrow forest service roads and uninmproved camping.

The trick in National Forests is to arrange this as a meeting of friends camping. Just friends using the internet to get together. Not an official event of any sort. No fees, no banner, come as you are and on your own. Once you get into making casual camping trips into proper events then you have to get into permitting and insurance and all that.

Once I get my rig up and running I can post a time when I'll be heading down and folks can meet up and join me if they like.

There is a beautiful lake for canoeing or yakking, Fishing requires a VA freshwater license, a NPS permit and a trout stamp.

foanie044Small.jpg

Typical road/trail in the forest.

old203Small_zps55de83d7.jpg

In this pic you can see the lake from the top of the mountain. The ridge in the far distance is Skyline drive. This is one of the spots we like to camp.

old238Small_zps0553da1b.jpg

There is a small primative campground with vault toilets. 1st come basis.

Picture001Small.jpg

http://www.fs.usda.g...=73759&actid=29

This place is really pretty vast and connect to both Danial Boone National forest and Jefferson National For

#88 Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:16 PM

Squatch, I'm game after May. I have been scrounging GWNF and JNF for dispersed camping spots. That one looks promising, $5 fee though? I was planning on Oronoco Campground as a start. We go to Uhwharrie NF in NC, but usually a lot of people there on weekends... which makes it undesirable for us.

Edited by Jollyrogers, 23 March 2015 - 11:18 PM.

#89 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:37 AM

Great idea Squatch, I like a chill gathering of like minded individuals better than a big commercial event. Although I will still probably attend the one in August at the Mid Atlantic Overland Expo.
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#90 DanT

DanT

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

Squatch, I need a time and coordinates. I'd love to check it out with you sometime. 

Thats the kind of place thats not easy to find on the east coast. Does the lake have a name?

How far off of  paved roads do you have to travel to get to the lake?

Looks more like a jeep trail then a dirt road, how do you deal with someone coming the other way, is it full size truck appropriate ?

Any maps that you know of?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users