- - - - -

East of the Mississippi FWC owners chime in

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#91 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 24 March 2015 - 06:34 PM

We only camp in the campground during winter when having a toilet is kinda nice. $5 is quite reasonable. There is a sweet trout stream behind the campsites.

The lake is about 2 miles off rt 33. Switzer lake. It's Harrisonburg's water supply.

The trails are tight. A full size will likely get a scratch or 2. Especially in the summer. If you are a stick to the pavement person probably not your place to drive.

The area I frequent is mostly in the Dry River Rangers District. There are topos. The rangers station in Harrisonburg sells them. But I'm sure they could be found online. The topo's are nice as they identify closed gates and trails. Some roads are only openb during hunting season. some have been closed due to trashing.

The dispersed camping is found by getting in the back country and saying I like this spot. Off limits places are usually marked.

JR I'll be in URE next month 22-26 at Arrowhead with my Isuzu group.

#92 DanT

DanT

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:50 AM

Thanks for the info,

I'm really not a fan of the pavement but right now I'm still a fan of my paint job. The truck is pretty new, the campers brand new, I have a desire to get it scratched up while exploring the back woods its just that the flesh isn't willing to tear up tight trails for a couple of more years. 

Right now she's still to pretty, but I'm looking forward to her ugly years. It would be nice if we could say the same thing about women.

#93 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:59 AM

Yes it would be nice.....

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#94 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:20 PM

I'm guessing neither of you is married, or at least your spouses don't read this forum.  :D It's not like men actually get more handsome as they age, although we like to think so.

I always like to get my first new truck scratches on the trail, not in a parking lot.  ;)

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#95 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:57 PM

The area I frequent is mostly in the Dry River Rangers District. There are topos. The rangers station in Harrisonburg sells them. But I'm sure they could be found online. The topo's are nice as they identify closed gates and trails. Some roads are only openb during hunting season. some have been closed due to trashing.

FYI - All available topo's are downloadable:

http://store.usgs.go...sgs/maplocator/(ctype=areaDetails&xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd&carea=%24ROOT&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2)/.do

I hate paying $7 or $8 per map when I need many.  I resize and print to fit in gallon ziploc bags.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#96 DanT

DanT

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:20 PM

"spouses don't read this forum" 

#97 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:21 PM

I don't have the truck to put scratches and dents in yet but I have put a few on me. I kinda like to think of it as character:)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#98 Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:20 PM

DanT in that area George Washington National Forest might be a better location. At least as long as folks don't mind getting the tires dirty and risking a pinstripe or 2 on their trucks. GW is the other side of the valley. One can do a whole day in low range and the scenery is awesome. Mostly rough narrow forest service roads and uninmproved camping.

The trick in National Forests is to arrange this as a meeting of friends camping. Just friends using the internet to get together. Not an official event of any sort. No fees, no banner, come as you are and on your own. Once you get into making casual camping trips into proper events then you have to get into permitting and insurance and all that.

Once I get my rig up and running I can post a time when I'll be heading down and folks can meet up and join me if they like.

There is a beautiful lake for canoeing or yakking, Fishing requires a VA freshwater license, a NPS permit and a trout stamp.

foanie044Small.jpg

Typical road/trail in the forest.

old203Small_zps55de83d7.jpg

In this pic you can see the lake from the top of the mountain. The ridge in the far distance is Skyline drive. This is one of the spots we like to camp.

old238Small_zps0553da1b.jpg

There is a small primative campground with vault toilets. 1st come basis.

Picture001Small.jpg

http://www.fs.usda.g...=73759&actid=29

This place is really pretty vast and connect to both Danial Boone National forest and Jefferson National For

Squatch,

We camped at Hone Quarry on our way home after picking up our camper. Went back Memorial Day weekend and spent some time over by Todd Lake and then rode up Long Run Rd to some campsite up on a ridge somewhere near Hall Spring Rd. Give me a shout, I have our fishing licenses and camper ready to go.

#99 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:24 PM

Hi my name is Eddie and I'm a FWC wanna be owner.

We've just started looking into possibly getting a Grandby for our F-350 CC in preparation for our upcoming retirement (can't get here soon enough!!).

We would love to join you guys if you would allow a tent camper amongst your midst. It would be a great opportunity to get to see them in person.

We live at Smith Mt. Lake just East of Roanoke, VA so anywhere off the Blue Ridge Parkway would be great for us.

What do you say?

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#100 Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:57 PM

I'm game. I want to explore around rt 60 through GWNF area soon...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users