#111 Montreat

Montreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:41 PM

Hello, ran across this thread looking for a caravan to Alaska for 2016, anyone headed that way?  I have a 2015 Fleet purchased in Jackson Hole (great folks) on a 2015 Tacoma.  Live in the Asheville area of North Carolina, enjoy driving and visiting national parks and monuments.  Have had three sportsmobiles before settling on the FWC. 

Edited by Montreat, 29 October 2015 - 02:42 PM.

Montreat 2015 Fleet 2015 Tacoma 4wd

#112 eblau

eblau

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationWinchester VA

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:41 PM

Located in Winchester, VA. Mulling over the idea of selling my Grandby and looking for a Big Foot but I do love my Four Wheel Camper. Id like to check out a Big Foot in person but they are few and far between out this way just like the FWCs.

7C48C616-081E-4F01-8576-A98CF29F8003.jpg

#113 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,596 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 December 2015 - 05:20 PM

eblau, if you're considering a Bigfoot, look at Northen Lite as well. My opinion is these two are the best of the hard sides in terms of construction. The downside is the weight, and sway going down the highway.

If you're still open to a popup, consider an Alaskan. I've never been in a more comfortable camper of any type or style. They are very light when compared to the hard side campers, well insulated, and after visiting the factory, appear very well made. If we sell our Grandby, and replace it with a full size camper, it will most likely be an 8 foot Alaskan. Another thing I like about the Alaskan is I can close and lock the tailgate. With expensive camera gear in back, that's a plus for me, not to mention having the original backup camper.

The Grandby is great, but as arthritis catches up with me, I'm less inclined to want to be the lift mechanism for the top.

I am haunted by waters

#114 eblau

eblau

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationWinchester VA

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:32 PM

I've been keeping an eye out for either the Big Foot or Northern Lite but both are pretty scarce around this part of the country. The Grandby is perfect for what we have been using it for so far (mostly staying in the paddock at the racetrack while road racing) but the paddock is paved and the heat radiating from it really makes the inside hot during the peak summer months. I use a small window unit in the emergency exit window but the setup is kind of a pain especially when we arrive late. I will say it is a pleasure to stay in the FWC the other three seasons of the year though, I have had it in temps as low as 15 degrees and on another trip in two straight days of rain and was perfectly comfortable. Truly relaxing hearing the rain on the roof sometimes. I figure if I am going to haul a camper in my truck to the race track why not just haul a self contained unit so when we arrive its just a matter of opening the door and turning the AC on. I've got a few months to think about it but so far have narrowed it down to a Big Foot/ NL as the construction is just so much better than the competition. I am still banging my head about missing an Outfitter that was for sale in PA with AC a few months back, looked like a really clean unit and was a steal at $7K!!!! Doh!

eblau, if you're considering a Bigfoot, look at Northen Lite as well. My opinion is these two are the best of the hard sides in terms of construction. The downside is the weight, and sway going down the highway.

If you're still open to a popup, consider an Alaskan. I've never been in a more comfortable camper of any type or style. They are very light when compared to the hard side campers, well insulated, and after visiting the factory, appear very well made. If we sell our Grandby, and replace it with a full size camper, it will most likely be an 8 foot Alaskan. Another thing I like about the Alaskan is I can close and lock the tailgate. With expensive camera gear in back, that's a plus for me, not to mention having the original backup camper.

The Grandby is great, but as arthritis catches up with me, I'm less inclined to want to be the lift mechanism for the top.

Edited by eblau, 24 December 2015 - 06:35 PM.

#115 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:46 AM

We just sent out a deposit for a 2014 Hawk.   Going to pick it up Memorial Day weekend.   Excited to join the club!

#116 TZtraveler

TZtraveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationEastern Pennsylvania

Posted 21 April 2016 - 03:25 AM

Welcome, in advance, to the FWC way to explore the world. You must be very excited. We look forward to hearing more, and seeing some pictures, when your rig arrives.

2014 Ford F-150, 5.0 liter V-8, Ext Cab, long bed, Payload Option

2014 FWC Grandby, side dinette, rear-window air-conditioner.

#117 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:20 PM

Picking my new loaded Hawk up on May 31st at Rocky Mountain FWC.

17 Hour drive (one way) from southeast Texas.

You have all convinced me its worth it. 

#118 DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 21 April 2016 - 05:40 PM

Guess I should check in on this thread..  After a couple years casually looking, our summer trip plan to AK forced the issue and in Feb I made a 3200mi run to Billings for a mint 2010 Hawk.  Now, instead of camping, Dad will chase me with the truck the entire 11,500mi trip (I'm riding my Wing to Yukon, then switching to Husky for AK).  Leaving mid-Aug, with luck the rig will be in Prudhoe before Labor Day. :)   I'm thrilled with how the Hawk is barely noticeable on the Ram 3500, even when towing and on twisty roads.  Got hand calc 13mpg@72mph taking the bikes to the TN Smokies last weekend.  Anyway, hope to make one of the group GTGs at some point and meet some fellow FWC enthusiasts.   Bob

12771621_1086588161380891_51082791123413

DSC09972_1.jpg~original

DSC02895.jpg~original

Edited by DYNOBOB, 21 April 2016 - 05:43 PM.

'10 FWC Hawk - '06 Ram Megacab 3500

#119 scirocco16v

scirocco16v

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:19 PM

Located in Middle TN, refurbishing the hawk I just purchased a few weeks ago. mostly plan to piddle around TN and them branch out in my adventures when the rig is all set up.

#120 ofc11066

ofc11066

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Fl.

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:50 PM

Well after another year following WTW, I finally put my deposit down. Will be driving from Fl. to Main Line in PA. to pick up the Raven in Sept then drive down to Asheville for Overland Expo East.  

Chris

2014 GMC Sierra All Terrain 1500

2016 FWC Raven

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users