23 replies to this topic

#11 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for posting John D
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#12 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:40 PM

100acrehuphalump  If you have a trailer like yours or mine and a truck camper to tow it, why would anyone NOT want to keep it as an option?  They go great with a truck camper rig and add a considerable degree of flexibility.  Look, I have a 13 1/3 Boston Whaler on a trailer too which serves a similar purpose.

One thing you don't see discussed a lot is using your rig to haul stuff.  We travel cross country in our camper, often hauling a piece of furniture to the kids, or cleaning out a deceased relative's house, many things.  We use the camper like a little van for hauling stuff and the trailer adds more carrying space.  

My grown children use the trailer to haul stuff behind their cars.  They go camping with it.   I have a friend who borrows it every year for his family trip to the coast.   A military trailer like yours is tough, so you don't mind loaning it.  My did built mine very strong too.  A guy backed into it in a parking lot one time, shredded his car and no damage at all to the welded steel trailer.

A nice little trailer is the DEAL.  John D

#13 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:39 AM

I'm definitely on the edge wether or not to tow the trailer. It's not very heavy or large. It can be left to reserve your campsite in a campground too. My V8 doesn't even know it's there, except when the mileage decreases. I could use it to haul my mining gear, extra fuel, Dutch oven, mechanical jacks for the Hawk, a platoon of imaginary friends, etc. . I could also lower my profile by mounting the Canoe/kayak on the trailer lid instead of on top of the Hawk. My truck is pretty close to capacity with a Hawk and all of my stuff. I have a tow package and hauling the trailer may help to shift some of the weight. I do have concerns though about being able to access an area, navigate it smoothly and be able to turn around easily.
Dan
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#14 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:58 AM

100acrehuphalump, No need to tell you, it depends on where you are going and the camping plan when you get there.  So far, I have left a folding chair sitting in the middle of the parking pad to reserve the site.    If it is a pay camp site, there will be a clip on the post for your reservation card.  Honestly, I have never run up on a fellow camper so rude as to try to take a camp site.  You may want to leave your trailer chained up so as to not worry about it for the day.  On the other hand, if heading into seriously remote areas, I would want the trailer, and all it contains, with me.

There is no hard and fast rule on this.  Folks on this web site write about off-road travel with a pop up truck camper.  I have learned from experience not to take my nice camper into seriously rough areas because I don't want to damage it.  Never mind how flexible it is, heavy brush will tear the sides.    If I had your military trailer with the pintle hitch, I would off load my camper back at a base camp, using Moab as an example, and take the trailer off road.  So, definitely, take your jacks in the trailer.  Leave that pretty new camper in a safe place and take that ultra tough military trailer with you, for example White Rim.  Another place is driving the Nevada deserts, such as retracing the Hastings Cutoff, where the truck convoy usually comes back to town for the night.  In seriously remote places, no one should be traveling in a single vehicle.  You need a buddy.  But a properly equipped expedition trailer almost makes it safe.

On urban trips, using New York City as an example to make the point, the trailer complicates parking.  Your FWC will do a lot of things for you that were formerly done by the trailer.  You probably should rebuild the trailer and set it up for what you need now.  The little military trailers are fairly common, but not easy to find one a nice as yours.  No question, keep that trailer.  John D 

#15 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:46 AM

Thanks John, those are lots of good ideas and great advice. I really don't want to sell the trailer. Maybe just re-modify it to meet my new needs. I'm done with the roof top tent. The trailer could rise to meet many of my needs. How long does it take to unattach/reattach a FWC on your vehicle?
Most of the time I'm traveling out in the middle of nowhere by myself and the dog. It's difficult to find a travel buddy who can leave for as long as I usually do. I'll be out west this year for around two months or so. Gonna do some detecting for some shiny metals.
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#16 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:58 PM

100acrehuphalump  Taking the camper on and off; you will get better with practice.  I am slow and methodical, about and hour for about 15 minutes of work.   I enjoy taking the camper off and putting it on so I am never in a hurry.  

You learn loading landmarks, the middle imprint in the truck bed floor is lined up with the middle of the front window.  Jack the camper to the correct height, about an inch above the truck bed.  Sight back in your side mirror to see things are lined up.   Get out and check as the camper goes on.  Plug everything in.  Push it all the way in.  Hook up the turn buckles.   Police up the camp site, load all the junk you took outside.  Shut the windows and roof hatch, Stow extension cords, police the camp site, check your doors and drawers inside, including the fridge, etc.  I use a written check list.

Every camp is different.  I use a level to chock the truck or camper level.  Figure out the potentially dangerous things, like a jack collapsing.  Take care of business when loading and unloading.  John D

#17 Buckshot62

Buckshot62

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationGillette Wyoming

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:12 AM

We are in the process of building up a utility bed trailer for our camping needs.I want a trailer that I can drop from the truck, open a door and slide out a grill. Looking at a 8' bedslide to mount grill and cooler on. Already bought a topper with ambulance doors on it so everything can be locked up when we are off sightseeing.Lots of work to be done.I would be interested in hearing other ideas and pics of others trailers.

1999 CTD (391,000 miles ) QC/LB 2500 1986 FWC Fleet . Sold the truck and kept the Fleet.

2000 K3500 CC LB 7.4 4L80E 4.10's

1997 K3500 CC LB Dually 7.4 NV4500 4.56'S

#18 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 01:31 PM

Not too many people on here are using trailers. A few but not many. Two good websites for expedition trailers are expeditionportal.com and americanadventurist.com

Here are a few more shots of my trailer after I removed the roof top tent and RTT rack...

Attached Files

Edited by 100acrehuphalump, 21 April 2015 - 01:34 PM.

2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#19 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 01:35 PM

And some more

Attached Files

2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#20 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 01:37 PM

Und eine...another good reason to tow the trailer is so I can bring 1-3 kayaks without adding to an already tall profile of the Hawk and therefore decreasing mileage.

Attached Files

2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users