• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:25 PM

Finished up installing what may be the last mod done to my truck. Added a shut down timer, to protect the pricey turbo I installed. This thing is called a Diesel Turbo Saver. It can be set from one to two hundred and fifty minutes, has a pre lube feature that allows you to pre lube your motor before start up, real good thing when it's cold, also has a security feature making theft more difficult. I really like the idea that I don't have to sit around anymore waiting for the thing to cool off, just lock the door and walk away. For those of you who own diesel powered trucks, this might be a good investment, especially Fords. EAT MORE FISH

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,033 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:35 PM

Funny how long that five minute cool down takes when you're just sitting there. Unfortunately those units aren't cheap.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:45 PM

Funny how long that five minute cool down takes when you're just sitting there. Unfortunately those units aren't cheap.

Turbo- 2200.00 Turbo Saver- 312.00

#4 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,777 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:58 PM

Turbo- 2200.00 Turbo Saver- 312.00

Not just the cost but labor too. Like the idea of pre-lube on cold starts.

Do those units just go on time or can you use a thermal coupler and have it turn off on tempature?

With that set up will your insurance company give you a discount?

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#5 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:45 AM

I put a "Diesel Turbo Lifesaver" on the Ram right out of the box. The pre lube feature is great and I love just setting it and forgetting it ala Ron Popiel. The anti start feature is nice too. I mounted it pretty unobtrusively. Now all you need is a Scan Guage and you're all set. Here's a pic of the mounting.

Attached Thumbnails

• DTL Activation Button.jpg

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#6 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:13 AM

JAY, I would bet you that most people have no idea what a real hot shut down can do to a turbo, really a big deal for me with a heavy tow. I would sit around for probably ten minutes while it cooled off. My ball bearing turbo probably cost a third more than the stock unit, this is cheap insurance as far as i'm concerened. Gee I love it when I do something sensible. EAT WAY MORE FISH

#7 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:31 AM

Fisher Dude,
The number one cause of turbo failure is shutting it down hot. When you turn off the engine that thing is still spinning at thousands of RPM with no lubrication. Its pretty cheap insurance and you dont have to sit ther forever. Were eating more fish but AZ isnt Oxnard.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#8 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 961 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:19 AM

I was looking into getting a cooldown timer also but since I have a manual tranny I decided against it. I feel much safer parking it in gear.
I'm not sure this is true but I've heard that leaving an unattended vehicle running is illegal in Calif.

Dick
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#9 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:15 AM

I was looking into getting a cooldown timer also but since I have a manual tranny I decided against it. I feel much safer parking it in gear.
I'm not sure this is true but I've heard that leaving an unattended vehicle running is illegal in Calif.

Dick

Would that be a misdemanor or a felony

#10 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:41 AM

Would that be a misdemanor or a felony

Misdmeanor, thats why i'm a fisherman and not a school teacher, those of you with kids can be thankful for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users