• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:24 PM

Three more for now and i will finish up trip report soon.Hope you all enjoyed.
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les Lqhikers

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010126 (Medium).jpg
  • P1010119 (Medium).jpg
  • P1010121 (Medium).jpg

#12 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:55 PM

Great pictures as usual, thanks for posting them!

#13 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 05 March 2008 - 12:40 AM

Les,

Love the pics, keep posting all you got. Thanks.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#14 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:11 AM

WOW !!!
Keep it coming.

Marc

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#15 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:19 AM

Just amazing what is out there in the desert. How people could make a living with all that hard work. Thanks for sharing.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#16 CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:33 AM

Thanks for sharing. I'm up in that area every month or so for work... maybe I'll have to bring the truck on one of my trips up there to do some exploring. hmm...

:thumb: on the pics!
1984 Jeep $crambler - Lifted/Locked on 35s/Caged/RTT Rack/Etc... 2004 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 6spd Diesel - Gauges/CB/2M Radio/Lorenz Bilstein 5100 Suspension with DP Leaf Springs/Carli Long Travel Airbags 2002 Hawk FWC - With all the goodies to keep the wife a "happy camper" "Paved Roads... Another example of wasteful government spending."

#17 kcowyo

kcowyo

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationLander, Wyoming

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:07 PM

I had to cancel a planned trip to Mojave last Fall. Seeing these pics doesn't make me feel any better about that decision....:(

Wonderful pics, what a beautiful area. Your outfit looks right at home out there.

lq, a quick semi off-topic question. With your roof rack and additional weight on the roof, have you devised a tool or anything to assist you in popping and lowering the top? Or do you just use the good old 'arm-strong' method?

The Four Wheel Camper Review Thread

Toyota T100/FWC Eagle

#18 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:48 PM

If you make a trip to Mojave Preserve make sure to visit the depot as it has lots of great info on area,including library with old maps etc,you could spend days going over books maps etc.I had a basic lift device that worked ok until i saw one made by star152 which gave me a reason to make new one,which is what i use now,works great even wife can use it.If you look at pic on link you will see a 2 wheel pulley,which i have now replaced with 3 wheel pulley,only because i found one at a swap meet for $1.00! Hope this helps you out.
http://ww w.wanderth...hread.php?t=986
Les Lqhikers

#19 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:14 PM

When you are at Kelso (train depot) if you look up to the providence mtn,s there is a spring called cornfield springs,about 6+miles up wash/canyon/rocky ground all the way.This was where the water supply came from to supply steam trains that ran through here.What make this remarkable is that the supply system was built around 1895! when you follow this line and see what they had to do to run this line (buried most of way,exposed in canyons)its hard to believe how it was done!The pics show spring which was expanded by blasting down through rock to improve flow then cemented to keep clear.You can drive to with in 1 mile.(trail is washed out,could be done if you had more than 1 rig would not do it by myself!)also some great canyons to explore,again no people and it looks like their had not been any for a long time.We hiked up road/trail then returned along pipe line through canyon.
Les Lqhikers

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010147 (Medium).jpg
  • P1010150 (Medium).jpg
  • P1010152 (Medium).jpg

#20 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:34 PM

This is last spot we wanted to find.We had heard of a spot that was used as a water supply spot for the Tough Nut Mine,after finding spring on map we used gps to get to area,no trails all washed out over the years as this spring is in a steep wash area.This one was hand dug lined with railroad ties the first 25 feet our so then lined with rock at water level,still not caved in and water still flowing!also spot was used as a ore crusher (small crusher) then hauled out by mule or? As there is also surface seepage it also had sighs of lots of wildlife using(deer,bobcat,couger,sheep tracks.all in one spot!)This is also in wilderness are so it is hike in only! this is the end of Mojave trip,already planing next!Maybe we will run across fellow fwc/atc travelers!(somehow i missed pic of well itself)
Les Lqhikers

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010136 (Medium).jpg
  • P1010138 (Medium).jpg
  • P1010142 (Medium).jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users