2024 Tacoma with FWC?

Jack

19 years later, Toyota has a true upgrade to the 2nd and 3rd generations and they can now be purchased at dealers. Anyone with experience with a FWC - mounting, mpg, etc.?

I'm about to get one to review. Given the significant upgrades in chassis (fully boxed once more), power (especially the torque peak at lower RPM), and load capacity, the new generation should be far more capable of handling a FWC.

I'm looking at the Trailhunter, but I am wondering given the rear coilovers if one can use Firestone airbags on it? The payload capacity is only 25 pounds more than my 2005 so I am curious as to how this might all work.

Given the boxed frame, how do you even mount the attachment points?

Ok, I just talked to Marty at ATC and he said there is a big issue with the new design of the bed and hardware. In my case, putting my 2009 Bobcat in the new Taco really makes the long story short that it will need longer bed to frame bolts.

The issue with that is that the stock ones are not long enough and are some proprietary Toyota thread so you just can’t toss some garden variety new bolt in there.

He said right now, FWC won’t even touch the 2024 Tacomas since there is no solution in place yet. He also suggested something like Torklifts but I’m not a fan of those from a tampering and off road standpoint.

I put down a deposit on my Trailhunter today and it will likely take 5-6 months to fill the order so I have time to research this and mull it over…

I wonder if TorkLift is going to make anything for the new Tacoma. I used their external frame mounts when I moved my Cougar to the new Super Duty. It’s very secure, but not something for tight trails.

1718711993740.jpeg

Just a note on the Toyota bed bolts mentioned above. I stripped one out on my 09 Tacoma so I found a machine bolt that just fits inside the Toyota bolt hole, I believe it might have been 3/8". I used a high grade steel bolt and secured it with lock washers and lock nut. Obviously you have to crawl underneath to tighten and have someone up above (or use a vise-grip) but mine has not loosened up at all with many years of rough road travel. This would solve the bolt length problem, but probably not the best solution for all 4 attachment points.

Just a note on the Toyota bed bolts mentioned above. I stripped one out on my 09 Tacoma so I found a machine bolt that just fits inside the Toyota bolt hole, I believe it might have been 3/8". I used a high grade steel bolt and secured it with lock washers and lock nut. Obviously you have to crawl underneath to tighten and have someone up above (or use a vise-grip) but mine has not loosened up at all with many years of rough road travel. This would solve the bolt length problem, but probably not the best solution for all 4 attachment points.

Marty told me it is a proprietary thread now in use. It’s possible a different sku number bolt could work, perhaps one from a current model Tundra.

Proprietary? I find that highly unlikely, and I really like Marty. Sounds like a trip to the parts counter at Toyota is in order.

Back
Top Bottom