Reservation.GOV is not the government.

billharr

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2009
Messages
2,827
Location
Stockton CA
Time to write our Congressmen and Senators. Please watch the two attached videos. We are being ripped off and our National Parks and our government lands are not getting any of the money.



 
And to think Snowden left that part out! No wonder he's still hiding in Russia. I went to Organ Pipe Cactus NM in December last year and discovered all the sites were reserved; how could that be? All the sites had reserved tags hanging on them. Well of course they weren't all reserved, and with the help of Park staff we were able to use one of the 185 or so sites that, while not actually reserved, had reserved tags hanging on them.
It can be discouraging, but you want to remember that making a profit isn't currently against the law, and milking the system is a paradigm that even predates the US government.
There has never been a shortage of scalawags or snake oil salesmen.
PS- the video is pretty well done.
 
I have been very frustrated at the amount of reserved sites EVERYWHERE. I think folks with more money than sense are gobbling up all the sites "just in case" they can make it. Last week in Pfeiffer SP, all of the sites were reserved and only 10 or so were occupied. All of the premium river sites sat open all weekend and they were turning people away at the gate.
 
Cpt Davenport said:
I think folks with more money than sense are gobbling up all the sites "just in case" they can make it.
That is what I have figured*. I reserved a site last year and when I knew I could not make it I cancelled (and actually got some money back!) but I guess I am a weirdo. I also have to use "the wreck" to get wilderness permits and the price keeps going up. What pisses me off is that even if I wanted to do a walk - in permit there is a fee now. And last summer I got one of the last permits for a particular trailhead. There were 15 permits I saw one other person on the trail. that day. The weather was a little spicy so I guess everyone else bailed.

This messed up system is a regular topic of conversation here in the Eastern Sierra. I "zoomed" a public meeting with a new district ranger and the question came up repeatedly. The district ranger claimed she was not at liberty to discuss the issue. I kept my words in my mouth.

edit to add: *more money than decency too
and - I'll watch the videos later when I am not itching to get outside in the SUN! so excuse me if this was mentioned: the campground rules have always been that you have to occupy the site the first night or forfeit it so handling no-shows should be clear But the campgrounds are managed by yet another non-government entity and I am not sure they have any desire or guidance to do anything but clean the bathrooms and sell firewood. Hell - I was in a campground Sept. 2021 - total ban on campfires, fire rings taped over with red tape and NO FIRE tags. Some entitled %$^ built a fire and he camp host was notified. He said there was nothing he could do. I' was like, really? I've got a cell signal - what exactly is the problem?
 
teledork said:
That is what I have figured*. I reserved a site last year and when I knew I could not make it I cancelled (and actually got some money back!) but I guess I am a weirdo. I also have to use "the wreck" to get wilderness permits and the price keeps going up. What pisses me off is that even if I wanted to do a walk - in permit there is a fee now. And last summer I got one of the last permits for a particular trailhead. There were 15 permits I saw one other person on the trail. that day. The weather was a little spicy so I guess everyone else bailed.

This messed up system is a regular topic of conversation here in the Eastern Sierra. I "zoomed" a public meeting with a new district ranger and the question came up repeatedly. The district ranger claimed she was not at liberty to discuss the issue. I kept my words in my mouth.

edit to add: *more money than decency too
and - I'll watch the videos later when I am not itching to get outside in the SUN! so excuse me if this was mentioned: the campground rules have always been that you have to occupy the site the first night or forfeit it so handling no-shows should be clear But the campgrounds are managed by yet another non-government entity and I am not sure they have any desire or guidance to do anything but clean the bathrooms and sell firewood. Hell - I was in a campground Sept. 2021 - total ban on campfires, fire rings taped over with red tape and NO FIRE tags. Some entitled %$^ built a fire and he camp host was notified. He said there was nothing he could do. I' was like, really? I've got a cell signal - what exactly is the problem?
Fees that goes to a private business for profit. The for profit privatization of our public recreation is now driving how our land managers and agencies do their jobs.

A couple of years ago, when a different huge corporation took over the contract to run recreation.gov, it was an absolute mess around here with our local - concessionaire run - USFS campgrounds and messed up reservations.
 
AWG_Pics said:
All the more reason to avoid popular areas.
We, very much concur. But we encourage all the pilgrims and bubbas to go to the popular areas. They are fantastic, well worth the time, effort, and struggle to visit. They are popular for a reason and NOT to be missed. Go find out why! And, you will be so comfortable and feel safe surrounded by all your friends.
 
Me too-I very rarely go anywhere you have to reserve a spot-I guess that is one of the benefits of living where I do surrounded by all this wonderful Public Land. One thing you still need to do with all this sudden interest by first timers out here is to know where and when to travel and not travel-Mondays thru Thursdays are usually good while Fridays and weekends and holidays not so good. Opening day of any season can be not only bad but dangerous too!

Smoke
 
ski3pin said:
We, very much concur. But we encourage all the pilgrims and bubbas to go to the popular areas. They are fantastic, well worth the time, effort, and struggle to visit. They are popular for a reason and NOT to be missed. Go find out why! And, you will be so comfortable and feel safe surrounded by all your friends.
I whole heartedly agree, but aren’t you supposed to use the Sarcasm font for that?
 
I miss the days when FS employees ran the campgrounds. New outfit last year at Antelope Lake. Instead of smaller trash bins at each campground they had one huge one I could barely toss a sack into. Poor camp host couldn't even keep up on toilet paper. First time I've seen a camp host in a tent.

I've been noticing the reservation tags more and more without a camper. Can people really afford to reserve a campground site for a week and not use it?

I much prefer not to use a campground either but sometimes you have no choice.
 
Now even more people using the sites.
Can they get reservations from "outer space"?

Frank

0-1.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom