• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#101 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:02 PM

We did the same last minute approach for curtains- bought some big ones at Target on sale (cheap!) and cut them up. Worked out great.

Your camper looks great. Have fun camping! Will look forward to seeing a trip report. :)

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#102 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:06 PM

ShellBack. That looks incredible!  Very, very, professional.  Good call just buying curtains and modifying them, we bought raw fabric, and haven't gotten around to it yet....

Two questions for you.

1. Do you have a source for new curtain rods?

2. What are your trim pieces, the 90 deg pieces I see running around all your lower panel?  I want to finish mine off with something like that. Is it plastic, metal, or wood. Again, do you have a source?

Looking forward to seeing the pics of the camper out on the road!  Congrats again on tackling the project. 

Hello Tim, I bought the curtain rods at Walmart. Just those cheap telescoping type, That's what the ones were that came with the camper. All those trim pieces I got at Home Depot. There's outside corners, inside corners, 1/4 round, shoe molding and some 3/4 " flat with the sides beveled. They are all plastic, and I put them up with mine air stapler. A friend mentioned that he thought some of the pieces were screen door trim. I might have some left with the barcode on them if you need to look it up on their site. I'm really starting to get psyched up about our first trip. It's been a long haul building this and I had my doubts at times. Overall I think it turned out pretty nice, but I'm loving the layout I did. Deleting the propane locker gave me lots more storage under the counter, and deleting the built in stove gave me more counter space. Most of our cooking is done outside anyway.  Lots of storage room under the couch too. I'm still planning to build a couple corner cabinets on the passenger side corners. We have mostly camped to fish, always towing a boat with us. Having a boat in tow limits a lot of stops we would have liked to make while traveling. Maybe next year we will leave the boat behind and take a month to head out west. My struts just showed up, so I'll be working on them tomorrow.

#103 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:06 PM

We did the same last minute approach for curtains- bought some big ones at Target on sale (cheap!) and cut them up. Worked out great.

Your camper looks great. Have fun camping! Will look forward to seeing a trip report. :)

Thanks!

#104 Living The Dream

Living The Dream

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFront Range, Colorado

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:20 AM

Hello Tim, I bought the curtain rods at Walmart. Just those cheap telescoping type, That's what the ones were that came with the camper. All those trim pieces I got at Home Depot. There's outside corners, inside corners, 1/4 round, shoe molding and some 3/4 " flat with the sides beveled. They are all plastic, and I put them up with mine air stapler. A friend mentioned that he thought some of the pieces were screen door trim. I might have some left with the barcode on them if you need to look it up on their site. I'm really starting to get psyched up about our first trip. It's been a long haul building this and I had my doubts at times. Overall I think it turned out pretty nice, but I'm loving the layout I did. Deleting the propane locker gave me lots more storage under the counter, and deleting the built in stove gave me more counter space. Most of our cooking is done outside anyway.  Lots of storage room under the couch too. I'm still planning to build a couple corner cabinets on the passenger side corners. We have mostly camped to fish, always towing a boat with us. Having a boat in tow limits a lot of stops we would have liked to make while traveling. Maybe next year we will leave the boat behind and take a month to head out west. My struts just showed up, so I'll be working on them tomorrow.

Rockin!  I think I know the exact pieces from HD you are talking about, I used the same stuff for my wall panels, I remember seeing corners there too, I'll have to check them out. Glad to hear you are feeling good about the project again.  The sewing certainly brought some dark times for both of us!  Good luck with the struts,  

My youtube channel about my Four Wheel Camper - https://www.youtube.com/c/timmorrissey

All about my camper - https://www.tgmorrissey.com/camper

Item I used in my build- http://bit.ly/TGMorrisseyParts

#105 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:18 PM

Another long day in the shop. Installed the lift struts and a table base plate in the floor. That didn't take long, and it was the last 2 jobs I had to finish before my trip. Cleaning up the shop after about 6 months of the build was a chore!  The boat was in the shop with the camper, so next week that gets a thorough cleaning too. Sitting in my LazyBoy drinking a brew thinking 1 week from tomorrow morning and I'll be off on my first trip.  :D

#106 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:05 PM

Had our first trip in the camper! Everything went well and I think my layout is about as good as it can get for us in a truck camper. One night we had over an inch of rain, and no leaks! The bummer was the campground was pretty full. Usual for this time of year, but there was some type of Halloween gathering going on. So no pictures from me. I can't compete with you folks out west and the beautiful mountain scenery. If my wife's health holds up, I'd like to do a trip out your way next May.  

#107 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,963 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:34 PM

congratulations! that first trip trying out something you built yourself, it is quite a rush!

#108 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:00 AM

congratulations! that first trip trying out something you built yourself, it is quite a rush!

Thanks!

#109 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:04 AM

Forgot to mention, I ran into another couple with a FWC. It was a 1998 Grandby on a pickup with a utility body. They drove to CA and picked it up new at the factory. They had been contemplating some upgrades after almost 20 years of ownership and  came over to see what I had done with mine. 

#110 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:41 AM

Shellback,

So glad you had a good trip, and that your camper fulfilled your needs. You certainly worked hard to make it special, and now this was just trip number one. Hope you're able to make it out west as you mentioned, lots to see and do. Also glad your trip was safe. Welcome back.

Poky

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users