• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#81 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:45 AM

Looks really good Ron! Glad to see you get to this stage, and Im sure you're starting to get pretty excited. You've done a lot in a relatively short time frame. Good job buddy!

Poky

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#82 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:26 AM

Thanks Poky!  Seeing the side walls on was a real milestone for me! I couldn't imagine completing this project without the help of your thread! I'll get those elastic straps done next. 

#83 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:31 PM

Finished the exterior today with exception to the vinyl trim insert. That's arriving tomorrow. This morning I finished all the caulking and installed the roof tiedown clamps. Once that was done it was time for a trial load it up on the truck and take it to a scale. Loading went very well and my fast gun tiedowns fit perfectly. On to the scale! I bought my 2016 Silverado a year ago this week. I drove it right to the scale from the dealership. It rang up 5680 #'s, and gross weight is 7200#'s. Glovebox sticker recommends a slide in camper of 1000#'s. At that time I had a Travel Lite 770SL hardside truck camper. When I got on the scale with it, 7380#'s! The light weight was supposed to be 1300#'s, but turned out to be 1700#'s.  At that point I knew I had to go looking for a FWC.  I was hoping my rebuilt Grandby would come in around the 1000# mark. It was pretty easy scooting it around on the dolly during the build, but once I added the battery and electric jacks, I felt a big difference. I was hoping I didn't overbuild it. Much to my pleasure, I crossed the scale today at 6780#'s. That puts the camper at 1100#'s, less the Happijac tiedown kit, 4 Fastguns, and the Timbren suspension upgrade. I might very well be near my magic 1000# mark on the camper alone. The only thing missing is the cushions. Oh, I still need to make some cabinet doors, but that shouldn't add much weight. I have a 380 #'s I can still add and be right at GVW. I'd say I'm a happy camper.

Attached Thumbnails

• resize 1.jpg
  • resize2.jpg
  • resize3.jpg

#84 GoinBoardin

GoinBoardin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWY

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:45 PM

Awesome! Nice job.

Funny, we both loaded our campers within 24 hours of one another. I have lots of interior work left to do though.

#85 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:20 PM

I was following your build on E/P and noticed I was right behind you. Tomorrow I start sewing new cushion covers. First trip is Oct 22nd to VA for 10 or 11 days.

#86 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:31 AM

Shellback,

Turned out really, really nice! Congratulations!

Poky

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#87 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:03 AM

Shellback,

Turned out really, really nice! Congratulations!

Poky

Thanks Poky, As I said previously, I couldn't have accomplished it without your thread help. 

#88 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:50 PM

Looks great! Good work- I enjoyed following along. Time to go camping!

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#89 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:34 PM

Shellback, great job. With all you did you can really enjoy your camping. Hope to meet up sometime. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#90 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:55 PM

Got some more done. Covered all the plywood seat tops and backs with carpet and also upholstered  my cushions.  On the right is a couch that the bottom pulls out and the back drops down to form a bed 74"s by 28"s. That will be for my wife. The cabover bed is 78"s by 44"s, that for me. Now either of us can get up to pee without bothering the other :D . Winter projects will be to make natural finish wood cabinet doors and drawers. Also a small cabinet forward and aft on the passenger side wing.  Forward on the left is the converter, water tank and pump, and also the battery. At present there is a A/C D/C compressor fridge, but no built in propane.  I was going to wait on roof lift struts, but I'd like to get them on before the 22nd and our first trip.

Attached Thumbnails

• resize1.jpg
  • resize2.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users