• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 kifo4173

kifo4173

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:16 AM

The camper is 10 months old. Took delivery in May 2016. 

I spoke with the service department at FWC and am actually going to be visiting the factory Monday. They're going to pull the rung and send the pieces off for analysis. As usual, top notch customer service. I'm guessing it's some sort of casting failure that left a hairline. That one side that had center rust was night and day different than the other-indicates a specific point of water intrusion. 

I'll keep everyone updated!

#22 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:38 AM

Does anyone know what FWC's use's between steps and camper wall to seal them?

Is it Plumbers putty?

#23 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:13 PM

Before we all need to junk our steps...perhaps by a show of hands...how many steps have broken?

This most likely has nothing to do with "rusting" but more with a casting failure....in any event the sky may not be falling.. ;)

Phil

A raising of hands isn't accurate being that most don't use their steps often. 

I'm not taking any chances. Just ordered 3 of these: http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Cant stand the cosmetics of the OEMs anyway.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 11.14.04 AM copy.jpg

Edited by Bombsight, 24 March 2017 - 04:15 PM.

#24 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:51 PM

A raising of hands isn't accurate being that most don't use their steps often. 

I'm not taking any chances. Just ordered 3 of these: http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Cant stand the cosmetics of the OEMs anyway.

Hmmmm...well if we do not know if this is real problem or this was an anomaly why replace them?  Cosmetic? Really?

If the steps are not often used then they should last a long, long time... :D

I do agree that the steps are at best problematic to use; even for a 14.5A climber [which I am not!].  But for me it beats carrying a ladder. 

Phil

#25 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:40 PM

I use my steps on every trip to access the aluminum roof rack or to tilt my second solar panel. There have been no indication of problems. I have 40 lbs over kifo.

It seems like this is an anomaly as we would have had other posts about problems. As an example, look at how much interest his report has generated in a short time.

I'm glad the sudden failure ended well.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#26 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 25 March 2017 - 12:37 AM

Hmmmm...well if we do not know if this is real problem or this was an anomaly why replace them?  Cosmetic? Really?

If the steps are not often used then they should last a long, long time... :D

I do agree that the steps are at best problematic to use; even for a 14.5A climber [which I am not!].  But for me it beats carrying a ladder. 

Phil

Cosmetics? - Yea, really! Do a search of Maintenance, Care and Aluminum or Fiberglass Siding of FWC's on here (just to mention a few) and you'll see how much people care what their rig looks like. You're surprised response is condesending.

To answer your question, which I already alluded to ... I'm not taking any chances. The OEM steps are bush league and the pitted surface on every one I've seen doesn't sit well with me after seeing the potential dangers.

I see nothing wrong with making ones rig the best it can be, even if it is only cosmetic, which in this case, it may or may not be.

Edited by Bombsight, 25 March 2017 - 10:51 AM.

#27 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,966 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 25 March 2017 - 12:46 AM

not to hijack the thread, but... Paul - tilting panel?

#28 4x4tinyhouse

4x4tinyhouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationMT

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:54 PM

Whoa! That is clearly a previously cracked step that gave way. Super sketch!

I'll be getting a camper next month with those steps and unfortunately, I do not have the benefit of being only 165 lbs! 

I'm going to have my dealer check them out thoroughly before taking delivery.

#29 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:21 AM

not to hijack the thread, but... Paul - tilting panel?

I went with AMSOLAR's tilt kit. Can tilt panel forward or to rear. Not always useful due to campsite's bearing but helps when our star lines up & I tilt it up prior to popping top.

Tilts 45 degrees.
Paul

image.jpeg
I thought getting old would take longer.

#30 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 27 March 2017 - 12:36 AM

I also use the steps to tilt my solar panel all of the time as well as for my wood off of the roof occasionally.  Hope this break is an exception as I have never had a problem with my steps.  I put 195 lbs on them a lot without any problem.  I know a lot of people on here do not use the steps a lot except to hang things on them, but I do and have been pleased with being able to do that although as someone who is almost 70 I am much more careful in using them than I would have been 30 years ago.  I also use them to hang things from as well as hang from the jack brackets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users