74 replies to this topic

#31 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:35 AM

The camper is 10 months old. Took delivery in May 2016.

I spoke with the service department at FWC and am actually going to be visiting the factory Monday. They're going to pull the rung and send the pieces off for analysis. As usual, top notch customer service. I'm guessing it's some sort of casting failure that left a hairline. That one side that had center rust was night and day different than the other-indicates a specific point of water intrusion. 

I'll keep everyone updated!

Odd, we took delivery in February 2016 [Hawk] and our steps are not "bolted" into place like your picture shows yours are...ours are round head hex fasteners.  So your FWC is also a 2016 model?  

Let us know what FWC says after they look at your broken pieces.  

Not good for you, but this is a rare event...has anyone else seen these steps break?

Good luck...Phil

#32 whwv

whwv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:03 PM

Just as Wollowa mentioned above, the rear wall steps on my 2016 Eagle doesn't use bolts but uses hex fasteners.  When I first saw the picture I just assumed it was an older camper.  I guess it doesn't really matter as that is not where the step failed, but interesting to know FWC installs them in different ways.

I use my steps all the time to clear snow off the top or access the ski rack and haven't had any problems.

#33 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

Just as Wollowa mentioned above, the rear wall steps on my 2016 Eagle doesn't use bolts but uses hex fasteners.  When I first saw the picture I just assumed it was an older camper.  I guess it doesn't really matter as that is not where the step failed, but interesting to know FWC installs them in different ways.

I use my steps all the time to clear snow off the top or access the ski rack and haven't had any problems.

Just my WAG...but judging from the surface corrosion on the body of the step up against the camper, I don't believe this is a 2016.

Phil

#34 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:23 PM

The steps on my late 2014 Eagle are mounted with round hex bolts as well.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#35 JCatt

JCatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne IN

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:01 PM

Looks like the OP may have a fiberglass sided camper? Perhaps the hardware used is different. 

2014 FWC Hawk

#36 whwv

whwv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:17 PM

Looks like the OP may have a fiberglass sided camper? Perhaps the hardware used is different. 

Nailed it.  I just took a look at the 2017 FWC owner's manual that Stan posted and they have side by side pictures of rear wall steps on fiberglass vs aluminum.  The picture of the fiberglass model uses bolts and the standard aluminum uses the hex fasteners. 

#37 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:51 PM

Could be a difference of bolts between standard (slide in) FWC and a flat bed. Cant see where it makes a difference when it comes to the step breaking.

#38 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:05 PM

Could be a difference of bolts between standard (slide in) FWC and a flat bed. Cant see where it makes a difference when it comes to the step breaking.

Bolts vs Hexheads having nothing to do with the step breaking.....but until the fasteners used on the steps on FWC fiberglass vs aluminum siding was pointed out the question was and is what year model did the step break on?

OP:  What is the year model of your FWC?  Honestly this probably is a moot question in the end; the broken step could be an anomaly that could happen on any year model.  

Again, I can't believe folks running for cover because there has been only one report of a broken step.. ;)

Whatever turns out to be the cause of the step breaking...it does not appear to be an epidemic.  But hey, if an identifiable run of steps had casting/metallurgy defects then a "recall" or bulletin could go out.

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 28 March 2017 - 04:13 PM.

#39 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:43 PM

I went with AMSOLAR's tilt kit. Can tilt panel forward or to rear. Not always useful due to campsite's bearing but helps when our star lines up & I tilt it up prior to popping top.

Tilts 45 degrees.
Paul

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

This is a great feature. Might have to check into it.

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#40 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

Is it just me or is there an obvious generational gap in this thread?

"Gnarly" and "Super sketch!"

Personally, I had a little bit of a flashback when I saw gnarly.

:) 

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users