74 replies to this topic

#41 4x4tinyhouse

4x4tinyhouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationMT

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

Is it just me or is there an obvious generational gap in this thread?

"Gnarly" and "Super sketch!"

Personally, I had a little bit of a flashback when I saw gnarly.

:) 

Jiminy crickets!!

#42 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:09 PM

Is it just me or is there an obvious generational gap in this thread?

"Gnarly" and "Super sketch!"

Personally, I had a little bit of a flashback when I saw gnarly.

:) 

Looks like its just you.  :D

#43 Rafter C

Rafter C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley, CA

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:55 PM

I'm sure it's the joy of Chinese manufacturing. Poor quality casting.

'08 Dodge 3500, '11 ATC Cougar

Build Thread: http://www.wanderthe...r-build-thread/

Blog: https://raftercexplo...s.wordpress.com

#44 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:58 PM

Was the cause of the step failure ever determined?  I believe the broken step was to be sent to FWC for evaluation.

Phil

#45 dharte

dharte

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 02:57 PM

A raising of hands isn't accurate being that most don't use their steps often.

I'm not taking any chances. Just ordered 3 of these: http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Cant stand the cosmetics of the OEMs anyway.

Do the bolt holes match the OEM steps? Do these have higher weight ratings? I use my steps a lot and if these are better, I'm replacing them.

#46 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:33 PM

I'm not sure about the max load ratings but I would think that if they are designed for the foot, they would be sufficient unless your feet themselves are overloaded :P.

The holes match up perfectly with OEMs and the holes are a camel hair smaller. The overall thickness of the part is a bit thinner .... but being stainless steel, I would think the same thickness isnt needed anyway.

They are highly polished and other than being a little thinner in construction, they tilt down about 5 degrees when in down position.

I recommend the changes .... especially when I can vision torn muscle/tendons hanging out of my calves otherwise.

Our campers are made to enjoy the outdoors .... not cause for life flight while out there.

Attached Thumbnails

• FWC step 1.jpg

#47 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:58 PM

Again, I must be the odd-man out...one step breaks and the sky is falling, jeez...death and/or dismemberment to follow..is there anyone else with a broken step on a FWC?

Plus anyone who has climbed anything knows to not rely on a single point of contact..minimum two points of contact is the rule. The OP didn't fall or fillet his leg because he had a second point of support..since he seems to be a rock jock, that did help :D  

Nothing wrong with replacing steps with the spiffy stainless steel ones....arguably they look better [don't like the downward angle when open....

One last time...why did the step break?  Has there been any other steps on FWCs that broke?

Phil

#48 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:52 PM

Wallow ... why do you want to know why the one step broke so bad if you have faith in all of the others out there, including yours? :wacko:

#49 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:38 PM

Wallow ... why do you want to know why the one step broke so bad if you have faith in all of the others out there, including yours? :wacko:

It is always about probability.  Nothing and I mean nothing is 100%.  So what assumption of risk is an individual FWC owner willing to take?  Think for a moment that there must be thousands of these steps that have been in use for some time and if only one has failed [nobody knows how many but we only have this one report] what is the real world probability that my step or your step might fail?  Then overlay what is the consequence of such a failure if in fact a person is prudent and does not try to balance on one step [Can anyone really balance on one of these steps?] without another handhold in case you slip off the step or the step pulls out of the camper wall or the step breaks.

Look I am all about risk management and the follow up, assumption of risk.  But like Henny Penny, one leaf, or in our case one failed step does not constitute a real threat or real probability of risk.

Why am I curious about why this single step failed?  Just my analytical nature; 'why' [one of the 5 "Ws"] has always been the question I ask first.  In the end I am pragmatic and refuse to run scared...that does not mean I will not run if I have to! :)

Enjoy those new steps you installed; they do look good.  And if it brings you peace of mind, so much the better.

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 16 April 2017 - 06:39 PM.

#50 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:16 PM

I'm also curious if there has been any determination on why the step failed. I have inspected mine and see no obvious flaws but it would be interesting to know if this is a systemic problem or an isolated incident.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users