• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:42 AM

If I'm tempted to overpack anything it is fishing stuff.  Nothing against Tenkara I just have a collection that takes a concerted effort to manage already.

Always have a lightweight spinning rod handy. It will handle up to about 1/2oz lures and is fine for most NW trout, bass and jetty fishing.

Always have a 5 weight fly rod handy too.  I typically use my old Cortland, (When they were quality and made in England not for Walmart in China) reel.  Reason is I have a couple spools that fit it so I can change between floating, sinking and weight forward or shot forward quickly. It's great for stream, lake and with weight forward line, most river fishing for trout and I've even landed a Steelhead or two but I'd prefer my 7.5 weight for that.

A few words on quality and aqusition.  Despite what the speciality shops will tell you if you're trying to venture in a new fishing direction good gear does not need to be expensive and two tackle boxes full of stuff not immediately required.  A little time investigating whats biting and on what and where can help narrow your bait/lure buyng.  That wrote, don't be afraid to try a new water with little intel before hand.  I'm a firm believer more fish are caught and more fun had by dedicated sportsmen and women with a Kmart special and a dozen or so lures than the ultra geared purist crowd in any given year.  Key is go out and dedicate yourself.

Oh, back to your questions.  I do both catch and release and eat.  Mostly c and r.  I'm blessed im my locale we have desert creeks, mountain streams, lakes little to bigish and I'm only a few hours from either the Columbia River or the coast.  So it's mostly trout early and late, bass in the middle and a little Steelhead in the early fall with a jetty or bay trip couple times a year.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#22 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:07 AM

I've always been the minimalist fisherman by just using a drop line hook and Bread or worms. I've had a fair share of good luck with it, but I'd like to learn more about fishing . Mainly freshwater lakes and steams and rivers. I understand a license is required for each state and can be picked up at any Walmart. I've also learned that you don't need a fishing license for the National Parks because they're federal and not state run. What I'm curious about is equipment. I obviously don't wanna go way overboard, but I do want something of decent quality. I know very little about rods or reels though and there seems to be an overwhelming amount of varieties of poles/rods, reels, string/line, bait/lures. It can be too much for a novice like myself when walking into a fishing related store.
So my fellow enthusiastic ichthyological adventurists, what is it you prefer to use and for what, and where while fishing for your next fresh fish food? Do you fish for sport or to eat? I'm looking for a variety of interests. As I'd like to venture into new waters and I'm open to the different aspects of fishing, like for food and for sport, like catch and release.
Many Thanks, Dan.

Feel free to post any pix of what you caught with the gear you used!

I am not a minimalist by any stretch of the imagination.  I enjoy floating on my pontoon boat and getting away from the same old places that everyone else fishes. I fish for Catfish and Sturgeon. Once and a while I go for Walleye. 

For Catfish I use two rods at once, a ultralight and a medium action. Both are more of a trout rod but in my boat I can chase them if I have to. I use 20 pound braid with a snap swivel and 20 pound fluorocarbon leader.

IMG_2907_zps6793fe3f.jpg

For sturgeon I use a different boat sometimes depending on how I launch the boat. I have a boat that I use just for one spot.  I use 7 foot long berkley sturdy sticks with Penn 321 left hand reels. They have 50 pound big game line and 50 pound leader. 

7-5-13Rsmall_zps5a4bec93.jpg

IMG_0860_zpsdef54b9f.jpg

Sturg15_zps09ca38e5.jpg

If you like to watch video's here is a link to my youtube to watch some of mine 

https://www.youtube....on?feature=mhee

#23 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:26 AM

Wow, that's a really big fish! I like your pontoon boat too. It looks like you're wearing fins? Is that to help slowly guid the boat without too much disturbance or in case you fall in?
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#24 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:31 AM

The fins are to control the boat hands free. If I get into water that is real rough I sit in the seat to row. Being able to kick is super important to the way I fish. 

#25 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:33 AM

Used to do a fair amount of fly fishing when I was kid.  Made my own tippets and tied my own fly's. Saved up and bought a Lamiglass G1000 9' graphite rod and Pflueger reel.  Upper middle of the road gear by 1980's standards and caught a lot of trout on it.  Good times.  Still have the gear too.  

Today, when it comes to fishing, I'd have to say I'm a "maxi-mist".  I've got an array of medium to high quality gear which is purely a function of years and years of fishing.  I chase Kokanee, chinook, coho, tuna, and halibut. Cheap doesn't cut it but I still make and tie most of my own tackle.  Many of my salmon rods I built myself.  

p881221475-3.jpg

p635300018-3.jpg

p165938071-3.jpg

p511320710-3.jpg

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#26 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:42 AM

Thanks for sharing that Riverrunner, there's a lot to be learned and I'm gleaning a lot of useful information off this thread!
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#27 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:33 PM

I've always had the philosophy to get the best gear I can afford so that if there is a failure it's me not the equipment. I've got about a dozen fly rods and reels from 2wt to 11wt, fresh and saltwater, graphite fiberglass and bamboo, tons of flies, etc. That said, a cane pole with bobber and worm is a pleasant and productive way to fish too.

The nice thing about fishing is that you can spend as much or as little time and money as you want and still have an enjoyable time. Starting out with a minimal investment is probably the best plan. When and if your skill (or dreams) exceeds the quality of your gear you can always upgrade.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#28 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:14 PM

Sage advice, thanks Charlie.
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#29 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,298 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:29 PM

#4 6 foot bamboo sounds like it will do extremely well!! There's no way I can afford a trout grass rod. I've not fished for nearly as long as you, so I had room to accumulate some Tenkara gear, especially since the price is right.

Some good looking fish in your post. I've yet to fish for grayling. Looks awesome.

Highz,I would not have purchased the bamboo rod way above what I want to spend.

A good friend gave it to me.It is a custom made one her father had.Has his name on it also.So one day she was cleaning out her garage and gave it to me.

It's fun to fish with and a nice feeling to have his rod.I fished with him many years ago and he gave me loads of help.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#30 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:17 AM

I'm hearing lots of high praises about Tenkara, although not cheap, they seem quite effective and easy of use, which did you choose to purchase and why? I'm 6'9" tall so I'm guessing that's an advantage? Should I decide to buy one, should I get a longer or shorter pole?

Tenkara USA has a couple of models that lock in place at different lengths, so you really get three rods in one. I don't think your height is as much of a concern. The area you plan to fish drives the size of your rod i.e. longer Tenkara rods work better for wider streams.

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users