• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts
  • LocationIn a pool of clear crystalline water. Appalachia

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:55 AM

Thanks GroovyDad, that makes choosing a Tenkara rod easier.
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#32 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:12 AM

Well, I went back to Dicks Sporting Goodies today to see if anybody that worked there that could tell me something about the products they were selling and low and behold, no. None of the clerks there had a clue. There were three other gentlemen there whom politely agreed to help me pick out some gear. They were two brothers and their dad, whom all had their own personal preferences for the particular fins they fish for. Dad likes the closed reels and fishes mostly for large and small mouth bass, Kenny fishes open reel, mostly Trout and His brother goes for Crappie and brim. They showed me all the different poles reels and lures they would choose for their various needs. They all agreed that a one piece rod was the best. Not only did they give me tips but they offered to take me fishing once the weather warms up and one of the brothers lives right around the corner from me. So the rod and reel combination I ended up buying is a one piece rod made of High Modulus Graphite. It is an Skeet Reese 'S' Series 6'10" Spin. It was $ 79.00 down from $100. Plus they helped me pick out string with super abrasion resistance, weights, lures and worms. It all came to $141.00 they told me that with this rod and reel I could pretty much catch mostly anything. So how'd I do?

No matter what I try to do, this infernal machine won't allow me to upload pix, apparently my files are too big and I don't know how to go about changing that.
2012 F150 XL V8, 4X4, S-Cab, Warn VL 10,000, Bull Bar, E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3, Rigid Industries Dually Spots
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#33 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:38 AM

Looking forward to your first fishing trip report with the new tackle.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#34 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:30 AM

Thanks Highz, me too!
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#35 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:02 PM

Howdy neighbor,

Foy in Raleigh here. Perhaps like you, I joined the ranks of fishermen later in life than many (mid-20s) but I've more or less done it all since then--combat-style brookie fishing in NC and VA mountain streams, hatchery-supported Southern Appalachian trout fishing, river and pond largemouth bass fishing, striped bass in rivers and in the Chesapeake Bay, surf-fishing for bluefish on NC's Outer Banks beaches, offshore tuna and billfishing, brookie fishing on Michigan's UP, and small stream and lake fishing in Montana (brookies, whitefish, cuts, browns, rainbows, and the occasional grayling). 

While I do fly fish, I am not particularly proficient with rigging so I will often test the waters with an ultralite 5.5' to 6' spinning rod/reel and 4-6 lb test line casting tiny Panther Martin spinners and similar lures from "Joe's Flies", makers of spinners which resemble nicely tied flies.  Small spoons also have a place in my pocket-sized lure box.  I can carry a second rod in my wader belt, so I'll often walk around with both the spinner and a 5 wt flyrod, setting one aside once I've reached a spot where I can easily cast the flyrod.  Small needlenose pliers or hemostats on the lanyard along with line clippers. Definitely waders in the Rockies, where even midsummer waters numb my feet to a painful degree when "wet wading".  I'd far rather sweat in waders. 

Be aware of the multitude of differing rules and regs between states and even within one state, particularly where trout are concerned.  Many trout waters require single hook barbless, to snipping off two of the treble hooks on the small spinners and spoons is required, as is mashing down the barb on the remainder. 

I have not seen combo "pack rods" mentioned here.  I have a nice Eagle Claw pack rod setup which is a multi-piece rod which converts from spinning to spincast to fly.  It's about 20" x 10" x 2" in its case, with a separate small bag for reels.  Like most multi-function tools, it's a compromise such that it's not a great flyrod nor a great spinning rod, but the small breakdown size makes it easy to keep on board the truck.  It sets up and breaks down quickly.

The great, great majority of my trout catches are released. I'll generally keep a few brookies in Montana where they are non-native and in Michigan where they're so abundant.  All other trout released. Ditto largemouth bass--all released--they're not great table fare, anyway.  I'll gladly keep a legal limit on striped bass, tuna, and other saltwater species.  Them's some good groceries!

Get out there and enjoy some Southern Appalachian trout fishing soon.  Seasons are opening up in NC, TN, and VA soon.

Foy

#36 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:24 PM

Thanks for all of that Foy!
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#37 Basin Deranged

Basin Deranged

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationPoint Reyes Station, California

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:43 AM

Well, I went back to Dicks Sporting Goodies today to see if anybody that worked there that could tell me something about the products they were selling and low and behold, no. None of the clerks there had a clue. There were three other gentlemen there whom politely agreed to help me pick out some gear. ... Not only did they give me tips but they offered to take me fishing once the weather warms up and one of the brothers lives right around the corner from me. ...

Perfect!

One day on the water with an experienced fisherman will put you well on your way to discovering why so many of us spend so much time trying to outwit animals with brains smaller than a marble!

I'll put in a plug for catch-and-release here:  In some fisheries, such as the High Sierra or the Owens Valley which are so beloved to many  of us here, the fishery simply can't survive in any reasonable condition if everyone keeps every fish they catch.  To paraphrase the great Sheridan Anderson, author of my favorite introduction to fly fishing The Curtis Creek Manifesto, "you can't keep playing chess if you keep removing the pieces from the board." 

But don't try to release a fish that you catch on a barbed treble hook: It will usually not survive the damage incurred in removing the hook.  Bait is almost always swallowed too deeply to allow a successfull release.  Catch-and-release works best with an artificial lure or fly and a single barbless hook.

There are plenty of places where catch-and-release is not necessary.  Many of these places seem to have an inexhaustible supply of fish supplied by the local fish and game hatchery.  Even in the Sierra one can harvest Brook Trout from most lakes with no fear of ever depleting these exceptionally fecund fish.

Have fun!

#38 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 03:43 PM

Thanks BasinDeranged!
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#39 100acrehuphalump

100acrehuphalump

• Members
  • 540 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:50 PM

So besides the basic pole reel line and lures, what other types of gear do I need? Is there a better filet knife, snips etc. what do y'all use when you go out on the water? Thanks Dan
2015 FWC Hawk
M416 Expedition Trailer
Bayleaf Woof!

#40 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:14 PM

Forceps are handy for hook removal, nippers for trimming line tags from knots, I just use an old (30-40 years) Rapala fillet knife. Some kind of cutting board is good for cleaning fish. Back when I used to fish for catfish I used to clip a small bell on the tip of my rod so I could hear when I had a nibble at night.  ^_^

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users